Author Topic: KPI 20 @ SGIA  (Read 1957 times)

Offline middletownink

• Verified/Junior
  • Future so bright, got to wear shades!
KPI 20 @ SGIA
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:06:36 PM »
Great first session with Sondra Fry Benoudiz from SGIA. We went over member benefits of SGIA. They have some really great offers.   Thank you Sondra for your time.

And look, Alex is here!!
-You Think It! - We Print It!-

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: KPI 20 @ SGIA
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
Already falling down drunk and knocking over the sign, oh wait, that's you and the way you posted the pic!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »
I wonder what dinner tonight will be like?
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 04:18:26 AM »
Wow, thanks guys, I really feel the love:P
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »
Thanks to all who participated.

Dinner last night had good food, great conversation & priceless friends.

Special thanks to Megan and Richard for busting my ass about the little things I rationalize away from doing.

Does the term accountability partner sound familiar..,,,

See ya all in LB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline GKitson

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 08:49:57 AM »
Richard looking forward to your white paper on LED lighting in color sales, mixing, printing and approval areas.

Once again something I know should be done, however......ain't done it yet.

Busted again at KPI dinner

Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline GKitson

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »
Richard looking forward to your white paper on LED lighting in color sales, mixing, printing and approval areas.

Once again something I know should be done, however......ain't done it yet.

Busted again at KPI dinner

\

Richard,

During our dinner discussion at SGIA you busted me for not having adequate lighting in our production facility because I was lazy, you were correct.

108 bulbs replaced, ready for recycling and I must admit it makes a huge change in work space lighting.

Keep me honest my friend,

Kitson

Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 02:01:57 PM »
The topic of accountability is a powerful one. I remember back at one Co where we did a great deal of management training classes. As an artist with this Co. I was a salaried employee, therefore, lumped into being required to take these management classes. FOr this Co, I assume they imagined that every salaried employee had direct reports to whom they managed but, we did work in teams of 8-10 artist per category with one manager per team. In the end, the training was beneficial even if I didn't have any direct reports.

I would say that we did some form of management class every month. It might have been for 1-2 hrs and every year, we would do a marathon of training class that consisted of 2-4 days. We might do that two times a year. So I did get a good bit of extra training. ;)

In one of the classes, we were given one book about management working together as a team. I remember the content well, and the basic idea of the cover (a Pyramid). This illustrated the biggest problems in management listed at the bottom). After each step of the book, the problems got smaller. I don't remember the title of the book. I tried to find it for you, but I see there are many management boos around the idea of a Pyramid. It really broke down the issues (and with whom or where the issues came from) and how best to address them. It all boiled down to each person in management being able to speak freely/openly and that, was the hurdle. The beginning of the issues (the bottom of the pyramid) starts with control and a feeling a the need "to hide or cover up issues in your department. Everyone wants to feel in control and have others believe their is no problem (with them) or in their department and if an issue is found out in their department, they shift blame.

The book covered a whole chapter just on getting the team of managers to a point where they got on board (bought into the idea) of being open, feeling safe about doing that and only then, could the team really attack other peoples issues or their own issues more affectively (and not make the people feel as if they are attacking the people). They each began holding each other accountable with each dept/area providing input on options for a resolve (action plans) and even personal assistance.

The term accountability can be taken as an acronym for guilt or punishment (you will be held accountable) so getting to that point can be very difficult, but that is the goal.

We did a bunch of stuff in these classes that sometimes seemed dumb on the surface, but in the end, it did help us prepare for certain things however small or large.

One class for example, was the Myres Briggs class where we answered a long list of questions and it gave us a letter for each (about 6-8) different personality types and breaks those down to just 4 letters (if I remember correctly). I'm an STIJ.

The point was, knowing this, you could understand who the people were that you were working with. When you know more about what drives them, we are told that it seems to help the work environment more. For example, one person might just be dubbed the jerk in the department, but might really be passionate about the specifics yet hold little personable skills and is compassionate towards their peers, values loyalty etc.  So in the end, you know this person only sounds like a jerk on the surface, but really cares about issues and what you think but holds little ability to show compassion outwardly.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 02:14:38 PM »
Greg,  If you were talking about not having UV protected covers or lights in your shop (especially in the screen room area), I was surprised to see, that you were not alone and also surprised to see that for the some shops, it may have little impact to have it this way. I'm not condoning it, I'm saying, it worked at this place and there is always an exception.

I've been to two different shops now that had their screen room area (out in the production area) with no UV light protection. The emulsion must have had a really wide latitude. The flo lights were really high, maybe 20' high in both places. They had been producing prints this way for well over a few years with great prints and great business growth, so, that makes it hard to say, "they weren't doing it right". Now, I'm sure if they really wanted to control the environment and hold even smaller dots etc. I would then mention that we need to look at isolating the room and putting in UV protection lights.  Sleeves can be put in for those shops if they wanted to stay as is, but they didn't seem to have any loss of detail as it was. We didn't go to the length of doing any testing, to compare, (out in the open 20' high flo lights) versus dot results in a protected area), but that would be good to see.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850