Author Topic: What is a good price on a Chaparral 12' x 24" dryer?  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
What is a good price on a Chaparral 12' x 24" dryer?
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:49:42 AM »
I'm looking at a 9 year old dryer.  It has 2 or the 3 elements are bad but they have one replacement element (just not installed)... I can handle that.

I've seen pics and it looks like it is in good shape.

I will be going look at it this weekend and I'm just wondering what a good price is for this guy?

I'm kind of excited so I need someone else to keep me grounded here!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: What is a good price on a Chaparral 12' x 24" dryer?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
Chaparral dryers are a product line of Workhorse Products that they do not make any longer. I do believe they still sell all the parts and can help you on the dryer if there is anything wrong. As far as price??? I would guess you can get it for $1000 or even less. If I was buying it I would price out all the parts you need for it first.

Offline cclaud3

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »
Hey, a new panel for that unit runs $350 plus shipping from Workhorse. I looked at one but decided against it do to the repairs needed. Good luck.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 03:45:35 PM »
Thanks cclaud3.

That is on the high end of what I figured it would cost, but still about what I was figuring.

If the unit was in perfect shape (for a 9 year old dryer) what should I be paying?

@Screenedgear, thanks... that is probably gonna be the price I'll be shooting for.  I think they are "motivated" sellers.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 04:43:18 PM »
My advice for used equipment pricing has always been 60% of new for very lightly used, and down from there.
This guy sounds like a step or two below "lightly used"

My dryer, a ten foot American was thrown in with my Workhorse press merely because the guy wanted the space back.
btw, it was fully functional, but needed a belt.

Also, when and if you do start looking at heating elements,  check these guys. http://industrial-ovens.intekcorp.com/category/standard-heaters-elements&bc=100|1059
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »
The site is rejecting my post it seems.

*edit*

Pics were such bad quality I just assumed they were appropriately sized... woops! ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:47:24 PM by Gilligan »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »
LOL... funny, their price list on elements is up on my desktop right now and that is what I have been using as my base price... which is why 350 was the top of my range.  I just assumed I might need something more than what I'm looking at here.  Until I get specs *shrug*

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 11:55:19 PM »
My advice for used equipment pricing has always been 60% of new for very lightly used, and down from there.
This guy sounds like a step or two below "lightly used"

My dryer, a ten foot American was thrown in with my Workhorse press merely because the guy wanted the space back.
btw, it was fully functional, but needed a belt.

Also, when and if you do start looking at heating elements,  check these guys. http://industrial-ovens.intekcorp.com/category/standard-heaters-elements&bc=100|1059

Looks like you need to buy through a dealer? I have one their R. Jennings branded flashes and wanted to install a bigger panel.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 12:12:34 AM »
Hmm... I have been sent their price list with no issues.  I've been told by others that you can buy panels direct... never looked at getting elements though.

They always seem friendly, helpful and willing.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
I run a 8ft 24" Ranar Curestar 4000 that I picked up almost brand new, I mean it was spotless (its not like that anymore and the guy would I bought it from would be upset)  for $1200 from a guy getting out of the business. I seriously could not believe how clean he kept his stuff. I walked around his shop and could not find ink anywhere! I guess he did not do much business and all he did was clean all day. I would say keep looking because you can find very good equipment for great prices now a days

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 12:28:35 AM »
I've been looking for a good while.  It's slim pickings around here and then I have to travel to go get it usually.  This time it's 2 hours away but I will be there already and with a truck already.

The price is negotiable "1200 or best offer"... I'm gonna shoot for 1200 - 350 for a new panel (and that doesn't count the fact that I'm gonna be installing it myself).  If they don't go for that I'll see how close they can get.  I figure worse case scenario if the dryer looks legit enough.  I will pull the old "Well, I got 1k CASH right now, or I can write you a check for <whatever price they are asking at the time>."

Again... the dryer will have to be in good shape for me to go that high.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 12:34:58 AM »
From the looks of it I would offer 800 and go from there. I just also bought a 6/4 Hopkins press in like brand new shape for half of new. Just gotta have patience.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 12:56:41 AM »
But patience = me curing with Flash unit. :(

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:02:06 AM »
There is a small Vastex dryer on DS for like a grand, dont know where its at but the nice thing about Vastex is you can add on as you grow. From what I understand all their dryers are expandable, you can add heat chambers and belt extensions. If I ever get an auto (god willing) I am going to get their entry level 54" dryer cause thats what would work in my current shop as far as amp draw is concerned and if I ever move I could expand the dryer.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 01:11:48 AM »
That is pretty far from me.  I do see those quite often online though.  Good to know about expandability.

Can always build me a boomerang right! ;)