Author Topic: I-Image Print Head cost  (Read 1258 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I-Image Print Head cost
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:29:29 AM »
We haven't seen the I Image in person yet but planning on it soon now that we seen the Douthitt. The biggest sticking point with the Douthitt is the cost of a replacement head. The numbers we got from the user were down right scary and he replaced them many times, he is getting maybe six months out of one head. Thats fine and dandy for a shop of his size but for us $5K is huge and completely destroys any realistic ROI. What the life span of their print head is based on our amount of screens is not something that anyone can estimate which makes it even scarier.

So before we even see the M&R unit can anyone give me some ideas of cost of replacing  a single head and how is the life span on them?
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: I-Image Print Head cost
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:41:10 AM »
That's a good question there Mike, this is unrelated but still close to your topic, a friend of our's use to use a OYO/Techsetter and the head kept going out at a cost of I think 1K or more and they finally bought an epson 4800 for film.  I willing to bet most of us don't think of a repair cost when we buy equipment or it might just be me, I sure Rich will jump with some answers for ya.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »
I'm not speaking on behalf of any company but based on research I've done here's my thoughts. They use a Ricoh gen 4 industrial print head. These print heads are available online from many sources for around 1k. The Ricoh print head can achieve billions of printing cycles before needing to be replaced so for someone doing less then 100 screens a day that print head should last 10+ years. I do know of a few companies that are using I image that make 250+ screens a day and have not replaced a print head. Their machines have been going for 2-3 years at this point. Knowing what I know about the print heads I feel confident that we shouldn't ever need to replace ours. A shop very close to me recently went with the wax unit your looking at and to this point they have had 3 print heads on that machine in the first year. To be fair I did hear the tech dropped one print head during install so really only 2 replacements but that seemed odd having to replace so much already. But replacement cost for the print heads isn't even close. The Ricoh print head is affordable enough to keep a spare but under normal conditions the print head should last forever or damn close from what I know.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »
Now thats music to my ears!

Around $1K a head is far far from the $5k for the wax head. And the life span sounds excellent.
"No man is an island"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »
Now thats music to my ears!

Around $1K a head is far far from the $5k for the wax head. And the life span sounds excellent.

I know you've heard it over and over.... but dude seriously just go for it.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
As a Tech, I read up on the heads just recently and yea, they literally tout some number near 3 billion "injection rate" or something. Going off memory on that so don't quote me.  Then, I will say that's as a tech for over 8 months and 35 installs, I have never replaced a head. Not one. To boot, I don't know of any other tech of ours that's has had to. I'm sure there had to be a few times at least.

I replaced another model (different co) once and the guy said he had it for over 10 years and replaced heads over 200 times and the machine only worked for half that time. I figured he was exaggerating but but even at half that. Sheesh!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 02:27:12 PM »
I was thinking that meant injection counts not "prints" because there is no way to know what you are printing going in.

So how many injections on a typical full print?

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:15:25 PM »
The ricoh head is rated at 100 billion firerings per nozzle.
Your standard Epson dx5 head is rated at 6 billion firerings per nozzle.
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »
Alex, does the epson 7900 fall into the dx5 category? 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 01:53:28 AM »
Dx7, but same rating for nozzel firering rate.
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com