Author Topic: 60 Presses in Kentucky?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: 60 Presses in Kentucky?
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »
Business a gamble...I am guessing Tee Spring is guessing that at the end of the day they will be ahead of the game.....Time will tell...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 11:51:28 AM »
I don't know how many big screen plants are in the US, but if this works we might see more big plants with 2 to 300 workers Wow doing cheap labor and really putting a hurting on some of us small shops like Wal-marts.  I don't know about you cats but I enjoy working for me and the public at my on rates instead of punching a wally world type time clock and getting underpaid.  Everyone has a right to do there biz the way they feel, but dam we little guys have to keep fighting for crumbs against the big money.  I have a question, I read all the time about you guys trying to fill positions at your on shops and coming up empty, where in the world are these guys going to fill 2 to 300 skilled screen shops or are we looking at bad products getting shipped out?

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »
I'm with ya Daryl, but it reality, that's life. Things change, and one either changes with them or suffers the consequences of not keeping up. The difference with people like us, is that we are self-starters and go with the flo, even if reluctantly. Now when I started, it was before digital, so a certain amount of photographic knowledge was necessary, how to staple mesh correctly (that one kills me) and other stuff we no longer do. We learned to communicate with email too, LOL!

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 12:07:11 PM »
I have a question, I read all the time about you guys trying to fill positions at your on shops and coming up empty, where in the world are these guys going to fill 2 to 300 skilled screen shops or are we looking at bad products getting shipped out?

darryl

Darryl, as has been pointed out, operations like this don't require a lot of skilled workers. Like in engraving and embossing, and printing shops in which I have worked, one skilled guy can set up a half dozen presses, which can then be operated by just about anyone.
I don't know the exact location here, but I will venture a guess that it could be in an area filled with unemployed "anyones".
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »
At Ecko the Team Leaders got $75K everyone else=minimum wage. Again mostly unskilled labor.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 12:11:51 PM »
Hebron Kentucky

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »
Yep Steve it's a smart move on there part to go after small orders in big bunches using cheaper labor...they say you have to fight fire with fire put if you got a match and they got a flame thrower, who's gonna win LOL.  We could easily lowball and have tons of work but at what cost to us and for how long can we last that way, but it would be nice to see big plants come back to the US and put people back to work.  Every day we past huge cotton fields here and I know all the big azz bales are heading oversea's only to be sold back to us at a higher price WTF.

darryl

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »
I have a question, I read all the time about you guys trying to fill positions at your on shops and coming up empty, where in the world are these guys going to fill 2 to 300 skilled screen shops or are we looking at bad products getting shipped out?

darryl

Darryl, as has been pointed out, operations like this don't require a lot of skilled workers. Like in engraving and embossing, and printing shops in which I have worked, one skilled guy can set up a half dozen presses, which can then be operated by just about anyone.
I don't know the exact location here, but I will venture a guess that it could be in an area filled with unemployed "anyones".

Yes I know Frog, but who are these unskilled workers, where are they coming from

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »
well, foreign countries for one...most of the new jobs created are to foreign workers...

also, there are plenty of people looking for jobs...

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »
First we all must start admitting that you dont have to be super smart to be a screen printer.  Its getting way easier.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »

darryl

Yes I know Frog, but who are these unskilled workers, where are they coming from

Should be a lot of fallout and leftover mine workers from the Kentucky coal industry kinda' falling apart when natural gas took over as the wiser energy source.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »
Its a good location. Amazon has a distribution warehouse there. Cheap real estate and plenty of labor from the tri-state area

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 01:38:36 PM »

darryl

Should be a lot of fallout and leftover mine workers from the Kentucky coal industry kinda' falling apart when natural gas took over as the wiser energy source.

Fracking made natural gas cheaper. Not sure which is wiser though from an environmental impact. Oil is dropping in price and hurting the natural gas market now!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2014, 01:39:56 PM »
Couple shirt wholesalers and ink suppliers in that area as well.

I'm not concerned AT ALL about something like this hurting business.  The vast majority of my clients use me because they like working with me and have been referred by others who like working with me.  Price doesn't really factor into it, though obviously I try to give people a good deal and be competitive.  Honestly, even things like turnaround time, location, and quality play a smaller roll in keeping customers than just having a good relationship with them and the people they know.  As long as you don't screw someone over they will stay with you for a long time.  Obviously this doesn't apply to every customer, but it certainly applies to many of them.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 04:30:01 PM »
Couple shirt wholesalers and ink suppliers in that area as well.

I'm not concerned AT ALL about something like this hurting business.  The vast majority of my clients use me because they like working with me and have been referred by others who like working with me.  Price doesn't really factor into it, though obviously I try to give people a good deal and be competitive.  Honestly, even things like turnaround time, location, and quality play a smaller roll in keeping customers than just having a good relationship with them and the people they know.  As long as you don't screw someone over they will stay with you for a long time.  Obviously this doesn't apply to every customer, but it certainly applies to many of them.

It can still drive down expected prices.

No matter how much you might LIKE someone, there comes a point where you think "why are you charging me so much more than other guys charge?"