Author Topic: 60 Presses in Kentucky?  (Read 5438 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: 60 Presses in Kentucky?
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »
Generally speaking for the typical screen printer a lot of them over charge for the quality they are producing. At least in my area thats what I see.

Now this forum doesn't exactly have people that are the typical screen printer over all I would say. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2014, 04:47:38 PM »

It can still drive down expected prices.

These folks probably charge an arm and a leg per piece, really. Lot of logistics involved with printing and shipping
individual garments to individual people, and on top of that, the movement or whatever has to have their cut.
What the customer is charged per piece doesn't matter because it's the individuals paying for it. Most people
will pay $15 for a special shirt, but would baulk at that when ordering hundreds. Basically retailing out wholesale printing.

It's a good idea that makes ordering easier for groups that can't get their chit together, and that's the majority of them.
Obviously it's working, but just like CustomInk bringing printing in house, we'll see how it goes.

I guess it makes sense to have all manufacturing in one place so the design is printed all at once and shipped out, but if
you are going that big I don't understand why you wouldn't open two or three locations to cover the country, and maybe
just a couple presses each to see how it goes.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2014, 04:49:11 PM »
Honestly, most of my regulars don't even ask for quotes any more.  They just tell me the details and I print and invoice them.  I doubt they are price shopping at all...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 05:08:41 PM »
It's not a matter of price shopping... It's that word of mouth. 

Your customer: "You should use my guy"
Friend: "yeah? How much?
YC: "bla blah blah"
Friend: "wow! I'm only paying X for mine."
YC: "hmmm..."

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 05:18:34 PM »

I guess it makes sense to have all manufacturing in one place so the design is printed all at once and shipped out, but if
you are going that big I don't understand why you wouldn't open two or three locations to cover the country, and maybe

Same reason so many companies import into the east or west coast and truck/train the goods to places like Kentucky - square footage and labor is dirt cheap and running a distribution center there is cost effective.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »
but if

that model sounds vaguely familiar.. hmmm...  8)
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Jwcontractscreen

• !!!
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »
This place is 15 minutes from my contract shop. I just want to know where they are going to find between 20-60 reliable operators. My pool for finding quality press operators is slim pickings in my area. My op lives 25 mins away. Too bad they went with MHM, they may also be a good training spot for operators that don't like how they do business.
Contract screen printing in Northern Kentucky
www.jwcontractscreen.com