Author Topic: Flash Electrical Drops  (Read 817 times)

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Flash Electrical Drops
« on: October 31, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »
The electric on my new equipment is currently being installed and I'm trying to figure out the most flexible way to run the two flash drops so that either flash can be moved anywhere on the press.  Is the standard here to drop the lines in the center of the press, or one on each side, or something else?  Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks!
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Flash Electrical Drops
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »
center of the press...cheaper to wire since you will have less conduit.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 09:09:40 AM »
Center
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
I put mine on either side, centered between head 2 and 3, and 7 and 8.. there's enough tail on the flashes to move them where they need to be, and they're easier to plug in

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:32:53 AM »
Thanks guys..  :)

jvanick: With that setup, would you still be able to run the flashes next to each other, on heads 2 & 3 for instance?

And one more thing.  I'm already locked into a price with the electrician, so I can make the cables as long as I'd like at no additional cost.  How far down should I drop the cable from the ceiling?  I'll be using twist lock plugs for all of the connections.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »
i like the middle because I can easily coil up the cord on the press when not in use...

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 09:59:16 AM »
no, I couldn't run on 2 and 3 but I do have a 15ft 'extension' cord made from 6/4 SO cord with twistlocks on both ends, so if I had to, I could do that I guess.

in hindsight, in the middle might have been a better idea... but what's done is done and it's not changing now ;)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:44 AM »
On our two sets of two autos enough cord is dropped so that two autos can swap share all the flashes. Costly but worth it.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
Like Tony. Lot of so cord here. Use the Chinese fingers and hang them from hooks on the ceiling to reposition without the cord being in the way.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »
Leave a bunch of slack, add a Chinese finger about half way down and hang from a spring. This will keep the slack out of your way.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
Awesome, thanks for all the help.  8)
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 02:11:49 PM »
Leave a bunch of slack, add a Chinese finger about half way down and hang from a spring. This will keep the slack out of your way.

Spring is a brilliant idea.  I like the idea of maximum strain relief. 

sqslabs, if you really are unlimited on how much cord can be ran I would go for a ton and actually upsize the wire and the SO cord, i.e., run #8 or larger, to fit the largest possible flashes you could ever need. 

One of our past electricians mentioned a device that has an arm on a swivel that holds the cord up in the air which would be perfect as you move around the press but they cost a lot he said.