Author Topic: Cheap Newton meter???  (Read 8881 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Cheap Newton meter???
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »
Is this not the same as a newton meter? I don't think its reading newtons but it would work the same right. Maybe for the guys that want to save a buck.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AHEDD

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: Cheap Newton meter???
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:54:46 PM »
if you could record newtons with a real meter and then record immediately with this and take that reading...I think it works.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:37:06 PM »
Just checked, they come as well in a digital version which would make comparing the values to a NM even easier. And it still costs only $149.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »
It is a single point measuring device, not a bar.

I actually bought one on ebay when I still had statics and thought about converting it.  But it was busted when I got it, so I just got my money back and found a used newman for $150 about the same time.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:48:28 PM »
Yea, I think when you get up around 150, there have been several used sell for that on the boards. 

Although, for the life of me, unless getting out of the business who would want to sell theirs?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »
start here and if you are bored read on

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silk-Screen-Tension-Meter-/121491294038

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171499006612?lpid=82

Before you hang me out to dry know that I have a Stretch Devices ST2 meter, purchased new and I love it........use quite often, at least once a week.

HOWEVER..........A high quality meter for what most of us do is not required in fact it is gross overkill.

We are fooled into thinking that we need to measure the tession on a screen to a highly accurate degree to stain a tee shirt correctly.
In fact if that were actually true and necessary the static frame screen would be a thing of the past but in fact millions of prints are created every hour of every day on statics all over the planet.

Another arguement against highly accurate  screen tension  for glitzing up  a Gildan is off contact and screen to pallet parrallel condition.
Think about it dialing in your tension to a bugs nose is mostly useless if you can not deliver the same finite quality control  to your off contact and screen to pallet parrallel alignment. I am not saying tension is not important it certainally is but $465.00 tension meter tension is a joke.

The value of a meter is the number it gives you as a basis for performance. Lets say you have a BOZO meter and you discover that 23 bozo units  gives your geat print results working along with all the other elements in your printing process.

When you read a screen with your bozo meter and and it reports 18 bozo units  guess what it is time to rebozo your screen to dial it back to that condition that brings you best results with the other elements of your process, 23 bozo units.

My point is if you want to monitor tension just get a functional meter made for the process, use the industry standards to get you into the ball park and focus in on maintaining the ststus quo tension wise that gets you results. So what if your meter does not maintain +- 2% accuracy I gurantee you NOTHING ELSE in your process runns that tight EVER!

Buy a cheap working meter made for screen tension, establish what tensions works best for you and use the meter to keep you on track.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 10:18:15 AM »

My point is if you want to monitor tension just get a functional meter made for the process,

You would be correct, get the meter for the job. That high end newman meter has it's place, large format guys where a single newton over, can bust a high dollar screen.

that bozo meter, is just fine for bozo shirt stainers.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »
Don't go cheap on your tools, you'll eventually regret it. I have 3 meters, picked up from people going out of business usually. A lot of folks buy into the pitch, then get stuck with equipment once they find out how much friggin' work this trade is...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
I have a newton meter. One of the expensive ones. I have to say that what you guys are saying is true. I found this drum meter on craigslist for $25. I am not buying it but it made me think. Now is it a newton meter for screens? No. Would it let you measure your screens for a very low cost? I think yes. Even if its off by 3 or 4 newtons you still can use it for consistency from screen to screen. It will also give you some way to measure the screen so you don't buy one that is too low.

This does go to show how our industry has way over inflated prices on tools. I mean if the music industry can make something to tune a drum to perfect pitch for under $100 why do we have to pay $250 plus for something that does the same thing and ours does not need to be as precise.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:44:14 PM by Jon »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
Drums, except for Timpani, have no pitch, it's called "indefinite pitch". Tune by ear, it's not like a guitar tuner or regular chromatic tuners where all of the instruments have to be in tune together. Drummers don't need them; however, tuning drums properly is still important, so when moving across them, the snare is highest and the bass is lowest... again, look for a used, good quality tension meter, one made for what we do. A week after you get it, you'll forget how much it cost...

Steve

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »
Drums, except for Timpani, have no pitch, it's called "indefinite pitch". Tune by ear, it's not like a guitar tuner or regular chromatic tuners where all of the instruments have to be in tune together. Drummers don't need them; however, tuning drums properly is still important, so when moving across them, the snare is highest and the bass is lowest... again, look for a used, good quality tension meter, one made for what we do. A week after you get it, you'll forget how much it cost...

Steve

If only screen stretchers were as simple as the pedal I used when a "timpanist" in my school orchestra.

These suckers are pretty cool as well
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
I almost posted "Don't forget about the rototom!" LOL

Offline Racer Tees

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
They can be found cheap on eBay or CL if you keep your eyes out.  I just snagged an older one from Stretch Devices off of eBay under $100.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »

We are fooled into thinking that we need to measure the tession on a screen to a highly accurate degree to stain a tee shirt correctly.
In fact if that were actually true and necessary the static frame screen would be a thing of the past but in fact millions of prints are created every hour of every day on statics all over the planet.

Another argument against highly accurate  screen tension  for glitzing up  a Gildan is off contact and screen to pallet parallel condition.
Think about it dialing in your tension to a bugs nose is mostly useless if you can not deliver the same finite quality control  to your off contact and screen to pallet parallel alignment. I am not saying tension is not important it certainly is but $465.00 tension meter tension is a joke.

The value of a meter is the number it gives you as a basis for performance. Lets say you have a BOZO meter and you discover that 23 bozo units  gives your geat print results working along with all the other elements in your printing process.

When you read a screen with your bozo meter and and it reports 18 bozo units  guess what it is time to rebozo your screen to dial it back to that condition that brings you best results with the other elements of your process, 23 bozo units.

My point is if you want to monitor tension just get a functional meter made for the process, use the industry standards to get you into the ball park and focus in on maintaining the ststus quo tension wise that gets you results. So what if your meter does not maintain +- 2% accuracy I gurantee you NOTHING ELSE in your process runns that tight EVER!

Buy a cheap working meter made for screen tension, establish what tensions works best for you and use the meter to keep you on track.
mooseman

I approve this message
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
I almost posted "Don't forget about the rototom!" LOL

I knew someone would chime in with something... good one

Steve