Author Topic: Fume suckers  (Read 1757 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Fume suckers
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:52:36 PM »
Anyone using an industrial type fume filter in their shop?  Despite thousands and thousands of HVAC running around in here and adequate make up air we're finding the shop a little on the fumey side with the doors all shut in the colder months.  I am having our HVAC dude put an extension on our exit vent hood as well as possibly upping that vent pipe size to see if we can catch more at the back end of the dryer, which is where all the stank appears to be coming from but not sure how much will be accomplished with it. 

I've seen most of these are portable so it could be a better solution for venting around a flash that is hitting a DC underbase since it's hard to move spot ventilation hoods around a press.

Some are out of price range at 7k but I feel like there should be something out there for less that would at least mitigate the fumes and improve air quality in a lower ceilinged space like ours. 

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Fume suckers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:30:04 PM »
For my shop a large fan on the exit of the dryer and not over flashing fixes it. If I don't have the fan on the exit of the dryer the shop will fill up to where you can see the "smoke" in about 20 mins when i am printing all out.

The fan is something like this one. Not sure the CFM I got but it is an 8 inch duct.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-8-inch-785-CFM-Inline-Fan-High-Velocity-Exhaust-Cooling-Duct-Vent-Blower-UL-/261512198366?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item3ce35778de

Trapping the dryer exhaust gases is the most important.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
Looks like it's 785CFM from the title.

I totally thought this was a new equipment thread and you were telling us all to fume so to speak, lol.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:31:04 PM »
Ha, lord knows I could add a lot of type to an equipment fuming thread right now....well maybe a shipping fume thread is more accurate.

We are very properly vented in here all around, maybe even beyond what is needed, it's just the smoke/smell/vapor that the shirts put off at the back of the dryer that seems to be what we need to mitigate.  I thought a little unit, parked on the back dryer hood might mop up the stuff that our system isn't catching.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
A couple of ideas.
Welding fume extractor with the adjustable arm.

One large central blower vented out side, maybe 1000-1500 cfm. Have duct work through out the shop with drops where needed. Fab a hood for the dryer outlet, maybe a flexible drop hung on cables over the flash, could even fab a hood for the end. Make it so you could move it to where the flash is. Or a ridged duct over the general area, with a large enough blower it should pull the fumes.

Big enough blower at one end and vent at the other, seal up the shop to create positive pressure. It would set up a constant and predictable air flow. Have the blower low to suck cool clean air from outside, vent high to let the fumes and heat escape.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »
Zoo,

If its that bad. Just box in the end of your dryer belt. Maybe 2 feet after the exit gate. Then connect the exhaust fan to that box. This way any "smoke" from the dryer will get caught in that "BoX" and sucked out. you could even put a dryer gate on the box. OK add a small door in the top so you can get a good dryer cure temp.... I was going to do something like this in my shop but its not that bad of a problem.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 05:38:51 PM »
Zoo,

If its that bad. Just box in the end of your dryer belt. Maybe 2 feet after the exit gate. Then connect the exhaust fan to that box. This way any "smoke" from the dryer will get caught in that "BoX" and sucked out. you could even put a dryer gate on the box. OK add a small door in the top so you can get a good dryer cure temp.... I was going to do something like this in my shop but its not that bad of a problem.

This ^^^^

With an adjustable speed fan.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 06:41:15 PM »
One large central blower vented out side, maybe 1000-1500 cfm. Have duct work through out the shop with drops where needed.

Already have that, we have a bigger, kitchen type central exhaust system mounted outside the building with drops at the in and out take hoods of the Spring, the compressor room (more like a box), and both our clean and dirty washout areas.

We have a swamp cooler system that dumps air to the front and back of the dryer.  I drain it and disconnect the pump in the winter, leaving the cover off so when the exhaust is on it will gently pull fresh air in through that vent system.  We can also turn the fan on and pump air in as needed. 

I'm guessing that the hood we're installing to extend the back of dryer hood might work.  I feel like the vent hood on the back of our Sprint is just another front hood, it has a smaller, 8" diam stub.  My HVAC guy and I feel like we maybe should just up that pipe to 10 or 12 and possibly boost it.  The hood we're building to extend it will have a gap between the belt and the hood sides for emergency reaching in to grab a shirt or temp or clean, etc.

Here's a pic of the back of the dryer.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 03:52:03 AM »
Zoo,

Your exhaust does not have a fan. That is a problem. You need the fan to push the air out. I know hot air rises but when you have a duct, the duct creates a static thing in it so the air does not raise faster then a certain speed. Plus at some point the air will cool and not raise like it should. All this is fixed with a large diameter duct and a fan. Bigger is always better. I have a speed controller on my fan. More to quiet it down then anything. At fill speed its a little load and I don't need the full power of the fan.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »
Maybe I wasn't super clear on this -that duct on the hood at the back is hooked up to our big central exhaust system, lots of pull there.  I agree though, maybe it's just not enough and a booster fan is the next step if the extended hood doesn't solve it.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 02:22:37 PM »
You need a fan right at the exhaust hood. This way the fan pulls in all the air out of the hood. Having the fan to far up the duct will make it not as effective at bringing in the air your trying to get rid of.

Below is a pic of my set up. It works great.