Author Topic: going roller frames... M3 vs MZX  (Read 6401 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
going roller frames... M3 vs MZX
« on: November 28, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
We're nearly ready to go roller frames and get rid of the statics... especially since we've been using more and more s-mesh lately... and have seen the benefits of tri-locking with screens that are equal in tension.

I know the M3's are the cadillac... but what would I lose if we go MZX...

mesh counts in our shop, in case it matters to your suggestions...

24 - we'd probably just keep the handful of statics we have for these...
160S
200 (regular)
225S
305 (regular)

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: going roller frames... M3 vs MZX
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »
if you are gonna make the change, I would go with M3, I worked with a mixture of M3 and MZX for years and always hated the MZX.  Just seemed flimsy to me.  If you are gonna spend the money go ahead and dropped the couple of extra dollars and you wont have any regrets later. My opinion.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:37:59 AM »
For the S mesh you don't NEED the M3's because you won't be tightening them as high. But it can be annoying to have a mix of M3's and MZX's.

Out of curiosity why are you going with regular mesh for the 200 and 305?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:00:02 AM »
I have both and like the MZX's much better, due to them being lighter, easier to manage, and cheaper.  We use S-Mesh so we don't require the higher tension levels of the M3's.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »
305 not sure... thinking of staying regular due to the fragile-ness of the S-mesh

200 not sure either, we may just go all 225S... haven't made that decision just yet.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
I'd second sqslabs. Mzx's are lighter and easier to manage - m3's capabilities are superfluous if you're sticking with s mesh, but if you want to have tension capability you'll never use if you're sticking with a mesh, go right ahead, but you will pay for it. S mesh and mzx's are a perfect marriage. I'd also add to sqslabs that since the frames are lighter and circumference smaller and you're dealing with sensitive mesh, you will increase control when handling them off press.  We actually sold our m3's when we went s mesh.  Was a good decision for us.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 11:03:03 AM »
I have a large mixture of both. I agree mix are lighter, but if you focus on my ultra lights you have the light weight with a much stronger, durable frame. 23 x 31 or larger, mix can feel a lil flemsy. If you have different sets of hands handling frames in your shop, you'll need to make sure everyone is always aware of the flemsiness. I noticed this more when we went cts. When loading an mix frame in a cts, you will feel first hand how these frames can be easily racked if handled harsh. M3-Ultra lights however, are just as light, and superman strong. Better investment overall.  Yeah they are a bit more per frame, but worth it. Older M3s are just too darn heavy so I'll never buy used M3s unless they are ultra lights.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:09:41 AM »
I have a large mixture of both. I agree mix are lighter, but if you focus on my ultra lights you have the light weight with a much stronger, durable frame. 23 x 31 or larger, mix can feel a lil flemsy. If you have different sets of hands handling frames in your shop, you'll need to make sure everyone is always aware of the flemsiness. I noticed this more when we went cts. When loading an mix frame in a cts, you will feel first hand how these frames can be easily racked if handled harsh. M3-Ultra lights however, are just as light, and superman strong. Better investment overall.  Yeah they are a bit more per frame, but worth it. Older M3s are just too darn heavy so I'll never buy used M3s unless they are ultra lights.

I wasnt even aware there were 2 different M3s!  Good to know.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »
The 310s is really delicate you are right. We have some 200s, but my overall favorite s mesh count is a 180s. Love that stuff for DC and WB!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
Yeah, ya have to be careful when buying used m3s. It seems they had lots of changes over the years until they developed the ultralight. There were anodized, some with plastic ends, those suck, got stuck with a few. Some that are as heavy as a boat anchor, and then some that are tin thin walled. M3ul really are the way to invest.

I wasnt even aware there were 2 different M3s!  Good to know.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »
You should look at the Shurloc EZ 125's for the mesh selections you listed. Way, WAY easier to deal with than rollers and the mesh panels are idiot proof. They are fast and dead simple. You could literally train anyone on your staff to stretch screens in about 10 minutes. You could actually pull a stranger off the street and train them.

After using M3's, MZX's, (with a Newman table) Diamond Chase, wood and metal statics, you name it... the Shurlocs are the only thing I'd upgrade to until something better comes along.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 11:41:05 AM »
The Shurloc's look great, but to get started with the E-Z System and just 6 frames with mesh (S Mesh at 180) would set you back a grand, plus shipping, if I'm adding every thing right. For the same mesh (S Mesh at 180) I could pick up 30 statics from River City. I know the Shurloc's would be the way to go in the long run, but ouch.
Tees and Coffee

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 11:49:07 AM »
I have some of the sefar trax frames... would much rather go roller frames with the shurlock mesh with the locking strips already sewn in.

I'll be looking for some m3-ul soon.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »
The Shurloc's look great, but to get started with the E-Z System and just 6 frames with mesh (S Mesh at 180) would set you back a grand, plus shipping, if I'm adding every thing right. For the same mesh (S Mesh at 180) I could pick up 30 statics from River City. I know the Shurloc's would be the way to go in the long run, but ouch.

:o

If the shipping was next day air...
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »
Frames are roughly 50 a piece
Tool is 200
panels about $20
So for 6 frames, tool, panels= about $620