Author Topic: Beanies  (Read 1377 times)

Offline larryk

• !!!
Beanies
« on: December 03, 2014, 02:23:35 PM »
Just had a coach walk in with a box full of Nike beanies wanting them embroidered. The Nike swoosh was put on them before they were sewn and is showing no backing.... I told him backing would be showing when I got done with them and he is OK with that..... my question is how do you hoop and hold these double layered knit hats and not stretch them? Any body have any tips or hints for stuff like this.............

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Beanies
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
Alan JUST embroidered some beanies for me and they turned out great.  Hopefully he can chime in with some info.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »
I believe that beanies should be pre-stretched. So design would not look stretched when the beanie is on the head.
I always stretch them a bit when embroidering. They look ugly before you put them on the head.
But, I have never embroidered on a double layer beanie.

Offline Audifox

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »
Do you have fast frames? This is all I use for beanies.   Sticky backing is a must for these.
The first pic shows the center marks I use to line up my design. Then I stretch the beanie SLIGHTLY (too much is not good)
 Start with clipping from one side, making sure the ribbing is straight up and down. Some people use two sided tape or just the sticky backing but I find when working with two layers you have less problems when you use the clips as well as sticky backing.
 That said, most times you can get away with using just the sticky backing. If you need to add any backing, tearaway most times is enough. 
Followed by topping (aquafilm, whatever you use)

Offline Audifox

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 02:35:09 PM »
this is finished. (not dry yet, from removing aquafilm.)

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »
Audiofox that is very cool..... never thought to use clamps like that. I shall try it and see what happens. Much appreciated!

Offline Audifox

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:18:46 PM »
I do lots of toques and beanies every year (being in Alberta) I find that works the best. No shifting.
Good Luck!

Offline aauusa

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
that is exactly how we do ours as well.