Author Topic: Advice - New Equipment  (Read 6664 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Advice - New Equipment
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 12:19:40 PM »
Buy as many heads as you can, if you can swing 6 then do it. If you have to start with less then expand into more heads it will cost you time and more  money per head.
I wish I had bought a Tajima or Baurdan, they are both the top of the line. Amayas are high quality toys in my opinion, just like a Toyota, real pretty machines .
Tajima and Baurdan are production leaders.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
I would say you could have nearly half the Barudan heads and still output faster than SWF.  It's that drastic.  Sew out is better too.  People often just look at how many stitches per minute the machines are running, they forget that machines like Barudan move faster in between parts of designs, trims and so on.  The SWF looks like its taking a break on a trim.  It's comical as you see them run together. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »
I would say you could have nearly half the Barudan heads and still output faster than SWF.  It's that drastic.  Sew out is better too.  People often just look at how many stitches per minute the machines are running, they forget that machines like Barudan move faster in between parts of designs, trims and so on.  The SWF looks like its taking a break on a trim.  It's comical as you see them run together.

I should send you footage of my brother doing a trim then.  You would think I filmed it in slow motion. ;)  It literally is 15 seconds from full speed back to full speed when trimming!  We have the same reaction to you with our SWF... can't imagine doing that again... that must be fast!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »

I should send you footage of my brother doing a trim then.  You would think I filmed it in slow motion. ;)  It literally is 15 seconds from full speed back to full speed when trimming!  We have the same reaction to you with our SWF... can't imagine doing that again... that must be fast!

Text me, ill send you a video later, my people are all at lunch but when it runs again ill shoot a video.  2152724369  Its drastic. 

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
Something always over looked by new people to the machines is color change and trim speed. How fast the machine winds down and winds back up etc. I have seen some of the meh machines at trade shows and my head just hurt watching how slow the machine would perform oft repeat functions.

People keep mentioning customer service and a difference between Taj and Barudan, while we never owned Taj but have Barudan for 16 years I cill say their support has been top notch. You can call with any tech problem and they will talk you through things over the phone in trying to help dove a problem, if it is something beyond a phone call then you need to schedule a tech. But after all these years I never had a communication problem with them ever, even with machines out of warranty. Most times you have to leave a message but they call you back quickly to help. Parts are stupid expensive tho, not sure if the same for Taj but i would imagine it is so.
"No man is an island"

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
Thanks for the great input everyone.  I'm still undecided but leaning toward Barudan, which are coming in cheaper than the Tajima equivalent.

Should I expect similar timing & speed between the Tajima Barudan?  How about ease of use, my Barudan sales rep claims that their machines are a little easier to operate?

Is there anything else I should be looking for in these machines?  Having zero experience with either brand, or really any emb equipment, I want to make sure I gather as much info ahead of the purchase as possible. 

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 10:04:14 AM »
screw you guys...all this talk has me pricing out a new Barudan 6 head...might jump on it too.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
Thanks for the great input everyone.  I'm still undecided but leaning toward Barudan, which are coming in cheaper than the Tajima equivalent.

Should I expect similar timing & speed between the Tajima Barudan?  How about ease of use, my Barudan sales rep claims that their machines are a little easier to operate?

Is there anything else I should be looking for in these machines?  Having zero experience with either brand, or really any emb equipment, I want to make sure I gather as much info ahead of the purchase as possible.

Personally just me speaking and with me talking with a few techs, in recent years most suggest Barudan to be the best marginally.  I wouldn't suggest night or day differences.  Ive not used a Tajmia other than touch feel look so I can't fully answer. I wouldn't be scared of one at all in my shop, I would really only buy Barudan or Tajmia at this stage in our business but I really like the Barudans and I intend to keeping buying them, probably a machine a year for awhile at least.  I can't see you making a mistake with either brand. If its cheaper for the Barudan I think you've answered your own question which way to go there.

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »
Great, thanks Brandt!  How about the software.  Both reps have suggested we start with the basic editing software and the update later on down the line if we want to digitize ourself.  I'm pretty sure I'll want to digitize myself early on.. jump right in to the digitizing edition? 

Brandt, I know you guys either found a good deal on the Wilcom software or got it through your rep.  Did you buy that at the same time as the equipment?

And does any of the software run on Macs?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 10:26:43 AM »
Great, thanks Brandt!  How about the software.  Both reps have suggested we start with the basic editing software and the update later on down the line if we want to digitize ourself.  I'm pretty sure I'll want to digitize myself early on.. jump right in to the digitizing edition? 

Brandt, I know you guys either found a good deal on the Wilcom software or got it through your rep.  Did you buy that at the same time as the equipment?

And does any of the software run on Macs?

IMO the software is as or more important than the machine.  Shelly can make artwork come off our SWF and many would tell us they don't believe that came off a SWF.  It was all in the digitizing.  She had to spend more effort for SWF but over all made a lesser machine produce top level embroidery. 

I would highly suggest going with Wilcom and as high a version as you can swing for.  We did a deal on it, they had a sale for a lot off and we jumped on it. In the beginning you may want to send some digitizing out so you can see how things should sew/be digitized and you learn a little each design from that.  But you will quickly likely want to do your own.

Offline jonbravado

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 10:39:23 AM »
Barudan all the way - and Wilcom works great for us - you don't have to have the $10k+ version to do some good digitizing.
We still sub out our really complex digitizing (time -vs- money), but the weak link in our embroidery system is never the Barudans or the Software.  Even the older barudan machines are still fantastic. 

The new barudans can fly - Tajimas are still great machines - If you are going to sew hats, then Barudan has the slight edge.

Good luck!
Meridian Printing & Promotions
www.mbspromo.com

Screen Printing, Embroidery, Promo Items, and Merchandising Programs

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »
I know next to nothing about embroidery machines but do know one of my suppliers (Antigua) has 270 heads and all Barudan....

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2014, 09:41:06 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone.  After weighing the options I decided on a 6 head Baruden and we should be taking delivery sometime this week, I'm pretty pumped.  This is about three years in the making.  I'll post some photos as it arrives and is uncrated.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone.  After weighing the options I decided on a 6 head Baruden and we should be taking delivery sometime this week, I'm pretty pumped.  This is about three years in the making.  I'll post some photos as it arrives and is uncrated.

Congrats, good luck.  We have 2 x 6 Heads from them and I expect that will grow next year.  Love their machines.

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2014, 09:50:41 AM »
Awesome, thanks Brandt.