Author Topic: discharge over the zipperprints  (Read 878 times)

Offline ol man

discharge over the zipperprints
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:54:41 PM »
We have the process of printing over the zipper pretty dialed in....
Except every once in a while we will have a discoloration along the hem of the zipper ..
Typically just a few pieces through out a run, yesterday it was all 20 size large. 
running down  the dryer a second time doesnt seem to help.
Any thoughts on what may cause this.... to much ink deposit?  no enough airflow, as there are more layers of fabric at the hem?

thanks

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: discharge over the zipperprints
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »
Usually when we see that it's too much ink down. Speed is the main thing I change on
over the zipper prints to get us where we want to be. That said, it ain't an exact science.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
We had that happen a few times also and it was not from partial discharge like you mentioned. I couldn't figure it out. I'm my head(where I am always right) I concluded it probably had something to do with more and probably different thread holding the zipper on. The hoodies were Cotton Heritage all there times, and consistency is not exactly their strong suit::)

Who knows if I was right, but I convinced myself enough to believe it! :D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »
it can also be oil spots......
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ol man

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 04:58:05 PM »
Well i re- ran the job today ---here's a few of the things we did to minimize the discoloration....
1. ink formula changed- cool grey 6 -- instead of starting with clear base , i started with white base , heavy ass pigment load.
2. double stroke
3. in-case the issue was inadequate air flow - we unzipped the zipper before running it down the belt, dont know if this part helped - but it didnt hurt.

Reflecting upon the job - im also not so sure the blanks were properly finished - i.e. extra dye, and or overdyed. 

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »
Were they Independent Trading Co. zip ups by chance?  We have run into some of their blanks not discharging while others discharge beautifully.  The ones that don't have ALWAYS been size Large.  I don't know what the significance could be or if it's just been a major coincidence.  We ran an order this week and nearly every other Large didn't discharge.  It was INCREDIBLY frustrating.
Scott Garnett
King Screen