Author Topic: Phthalate  (Read 1368 times)

Offline noortrd

Phthalate
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »
We used some wilflex inks made 2009 to print cheldren fabric. Our supplier need phthalate free . The test result show the print contain o.2% phthalalte. The requirement is 0.1%. Is ther any way to rid phthalate completely on fabric.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Phthalate
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
You know what I am going to say ;)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »
The water-based option, notwithstanding, I cannot imagine a way to remove phthalate from plastisol after printing (if I am understanding you correctly)

Looks like a re-run with compliant inks may be in order. Bummer.

Now, if somehow, the 2009 ink you already used is listed as having a lower phthalate content, perhaps Wilflex will step up and help cover some of the expense.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:37:44 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
Wasn't it supposed to be particular phthalates, not all, that caused the problem? And, very surprisingly, a customer had them tested? Because there are so many children dying from this?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 04:38:22 PM »
noortrd is in Pakistan, and is probably printing this for export to somewhere that may not even have the same rules as us.

Time difference will probably delay his response.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »
A Wilflex rep told us once that if you have EVER used inks with Phthalates in your system, ie- squeegee's, floods, knives, dip tank, screens ect, there is almost no way to get rid of it, even using non-phthalate inks. He said the only way to truly have a zero contamination would be all new pieces of the system that I just mentioned. That kinda sucks, but it makes sense.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 05:36:55 PM »
A Wilflex rep told us once that if you have EVER used inks with Phthalates in your system, ie- squeegee's, floods, knives, dip tank, screens ect, there is almost no way to get rid of it, even using non-phthalate inks. He said the only way to truly have a zero contamination would be all new pieces of the system that I just mentioned. That kinda sucks, but it makes sense.

Uhh..... the Phthalate levels that you need to have/not have in your ink will not reach that level by using "contaminated" squeegees, and plastic spatulas (if you use them) and..... uh.... what else actually comes into long term contact with the ink that has a possibility of leaching into it....  That's it I can think of.  The levels will be negligible.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »

Uhh..... the Phthalate levels that you need to have/not have in your ink will not reach that level by using "contaminated" squeegees, and plastic spatulas (if you use them) and..... uh.... what else actually comes into long term contact with the ink that has a possibility of leaching into it....  That's it I can think of.  The levels will be negligible.

That's what I've always assumed and glad to hear it confirmed. I mean if the OP is getting .2% from a non compliant ink merely cutting that in half with a compliant
ink would get you there, so I'd wager trace remnants wouldn't affect much.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 10:30:42 PM »

Cool, but I was merely passing on what a rep from Wilflex told us.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com