Author Topic: Making screens the old fashion way  (Read 2687 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Making screens the old fashion way
« on: March 12, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »
In this era of Fast this, EZ that, quick here and a multitude of other "EASY" ways to do things, i'm reminded of the days of working in the woodshop with hand tools. Making a table from scratch with nothing but muscle power, hard sharpening my stanley plane on a wet stone with a micro bevel so sharp i could peel ribbon from walnut. Spending a couple hours on the rip saw so every tooth was razor sharp before cutting my planks from the rough log of cherry.

For the past couple of days ive been working with bolt mesh, some S mesh to be exact, 150 and 225 and some mzx frames on a basic table with squeegee rubber as risers. Just like the old days when i first started making frames. I had to inspect every locking channel for burrs, sand em down a little here and there. Cut some fresh locking strip from the roll and nip the ends.

Load the mesh, measure each clip and get that mesh perfectly square in the frame before softening the corners just right.

Rolling each tube individually requires a relaxing period between tensions so i bring the tension up in stages and let the frames hang out in the shop as they watch us print.

After the third tension they are ready for production and will require 3 additional re-tensions before they stabalize to our required 25n for day to day printing.

Sure it took longer than just wacking them on a roller table and putting them into production in 2.685 minutes but just like the days of hand tooling my furniture, sometimes it nice to slow down, take your time and feel what you're doing vs just going for the easy way out.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Making screens the old fashion way
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 02:14:38 PM »
Gettem Tigger! ;)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 02:25:50 PM »
I'd say the crowd here usually makes fun of me for saying I enjoy doing this, but usually, John has been part of that crowd. 

So, you know.  Kudos.   ;)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »

...feel what you're doing vs just going for the easy way out.

Though some may not agree, I think that this statement also may describe those who started with, and mastered printing manually before going on to an auto.
They have a different understanding of the process.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
And here I was ready for a discussion on wood frames, canvas stretching pliers and staple tape.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »
I stretch manually all my screens and actually learn a bunch about the process every time I re-mesh a screen.
Reading your woodworking history I really smiled, I have a pretty long woodworking history although I got my rough sawn cherry and red oak from someone who did all the work up to the rough sawn point for me.

as side note
I have discovered a very inexpensive  alternative to newman  locking strips . There is a slight modification required to the material that we easily accomplished with the woodworking skills and equipment we have.
If you are interested drop me a PM and I can fill you in.

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 10:13:44 AM »
Yup!
As fun as it gets!!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 12:50:23 PM »
And here I was ready for a discussion on wood frames, canvas stretching pliers and staple tape.

I said old fashion.. not ancient  :P

...feel what you're doing vs just going for the easy way out.

Though some may not agree, I think that this statement also may describe those who started with, and mastered printing manually before going on to an auto.
They have a different understanding of the process.

Yes we do.
I see to many machine operators these days. The art of the process is lost on this generation of google university graduates.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 03:53:24 PM »
In that vein, have you ever read some of the "advice" from some folks at t-shirtforums? There are some good folks there, but there are also beginners giving fairly bad advice. I have also always felt that printers should start manually, and be cross trained in every part of the job, but I'm old I'm told, so what do I know? I've also had some very closely held beliefs blown out of the water on occasion, so I try not to be too crusty, and keep an open mind...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 04:00:56 PM »
In that vein, have you ever read some of the "advice" from some folks at t-shirtforums? There are some good folks there, but there are also beginners giving fairly bad advice. I have also always felt that printers should start manually, and be cross trained in every part of the job, but I'm old I'm told, so what do I know? I've also had some very closely held beliefs blown out of the water on occasion, so I try not to be too crusty, and keep an open mind...

Steve

This is the reason that when we first started TSB, some members expressed the hope that we wouldn't become " too Newbie friendly", though I always felt that we could indeed atract (and help) Newbies without becoming one of those places where "the blind lead the blind"

So far, I feel we're doin' fine keeping that balanced.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 02:07:45 PM »
I said old fashion.. not ancient  :P

with the speed of technology, old fashioned IS ancient. 

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 05:52:06 PM »
Thanks John for doing it right.  Staging, what a concept.  Let the mesh get used to some tension before cranking it up.
Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com