Author Topic: Hat Backs  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Ryan

Hat Backs
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:44:06 AM »
How are you guys doing the backs of hats? I mean the one size fits all and you have to arch over the opening. I have serious doubts I can do them effeciently, specifically the hooping. Any one have tips on doing it? I have a Barudan if it makes any difference at all.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Hat Backs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
Some caps I've been able to use our flat hoops to do that, not sure what other's do as we don't do a lot of curve sewing around the back, but when we do I try to push them to a good cap that has a some flex.  I'm sure other's will chime in here as there's some really good embroidery guys here DKgrafix and Brandt (Graphicdisorder) to name a few.

darryl
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:10:00 AM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 11:06:07 AM »
I use clamps with a cap back attachment.
http://www.hooptechproducts.com/t/ICTCS

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »
ICTCS 1 I use a hat back clamp and on ICTCS 2 I use 5.5" round.
Cap attachments work much better than 5.5" round. The only problem is that ICTCS 2 does not have a hat back attachment. (I have both clamp styles)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
DK do you have a picture by any chance of how it looks? I've done them with my smaller hoops and treated them like flats but trying to get them flat and the curve equal without spending a fair amount of time. Doing 20 hats is no big deal, but 300 is a whole different story.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 12:45:24 PM »
I found these online:
5.5"   round

Did not find the pic for the hat back clamp ICTCS 1 system.

But, here is something new that I saw the first time now. Seems nice
http://www.hooptechproducts.com/t/capframes-capback

Hope it helps

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 01:21:27 PM »
All hats that have the opening on the back are flat hooped using a 12cm hoop. I usually scan a hooped back first then digitize what needs to go on it using the scan as a template. All flex fits/elastic backs we hoop using the hat hoops just upside down. It takes a little practice to get a good hoop this way but the pay off is worth it.
"No man is an island"

Offline SteveS

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
All hats that have the opening on the back are flat hooped using a 12cm hoop. I usually scan a hooped back first then digitize what needs to go on it using the scan as a template. All flex fits/elastic backs we hoop using the hat hoops just upside down. It takes a little practice to get a good hoop this way but the pay off is worth it.

Production wise, this is the most efficient method and is the technique used in all large shops. It's an additional skill to be able to hoop caps in the 15cm round but after a while, it comes natural. Scan one, digitize the curve accordingly and they will look like they were done prior to manufacture.