Author Topic: Any Recommendations for an Android Mobile Credit Card Reader?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Hey Monkey

Re: Any Recommendations for an Android Mobile Credit Card Reader?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
Going from Square to a POS with Quickbooks integration would be like going from a car to a horse and buggy. Using the square reader on your phone would not at ALL look unprofessional. Pretty much how Apple operates all Apple stores (not square readers but same concept. I am looking at doing the Square stand once my new shop opens.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 03:57:14 PM »
I use square for all my credit cards.  I know it is a higher percentage than other options, but it is so easy to use and setup and has no up front costs or fees and works flawlessly.  I have only heard "those things are cool!" or "i use those for my business too!" from my clients.  Not one has responded negatively due to it being "unprofessional".

I would be really careful about using paypal for credit cards.  I have two clients who have had huge transactions frozen for literally no reason by paypal and they literally could not get the money back, even after contacting attorneys and the whole nine yards. 

The quickbooks card reader is also nice enough, but it kind of sucks to use and I had 3 die on me while testing them last year.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
Has anyone run into problems with a phone case obstructing full insertion of the plug of any of these devices?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 10:11:50 PM »
I use Ballistics on my phone with no problem.

Not sure why anyone would use any other case. ;)

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 10:27:04 PM »
Square is the easiest to set up and the most commonly used.  Square is used in almost every cafe, bakery, coffee shop, and boutique in Atlanta.  Being amateur is definitely not how I would describe using Square, especially if paired with the stand.  Square is undoubtedly one of the most popular ways modern small businesses are processing cards.  Another thing to consider, Square has an excellent Amex rate; far better than our merchant service which has Visa and MC rates at half of what Square charges.  I run high value Amex cards through Square for a better rate.  It's pretty easy since most of our high ticket customers prefer to come in to swipe anyway.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 10:54:53 PM »
Has anyone run into problems with a phone case obstructing full insertion of the plug of any of these devices?

I had an otter box (with the hard shell and rubber) on an Iphone 4s that wouldn't let it properly go in, you kinda had to turn it sideways and really make sure it was seated but it still worked.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 01:35:20 AM »
Actually, I remembered that the trick may be to use a little "extension cord" as I did with some headsets that had plugs with too much meat around them to clear the opening in the case.

The case thing is an issue with charging and sync docks as well. Different port, same problem.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 09:12:17 AM »
The UAG (Urban Armor Gear) cases seem to be thought out well. None of the *gazindas* are the least bit flubbed by plastic on my S3.

Some of these CC readers might not work with them, but the Square Reader has a little stubby plastic "stinger" that the plug mounts to. Its plenty long enough for even an Otterbox Defender, I think.

I used to use Otterbox cases for my phones, but lately, I've been disappointed with the rubber thing getting all stretched out with repeated battery changes.

I get adequate protection from the UAG and they are only about $20. I've dropped my S3 several times on cement. No problem.

WE REALLY LIKE THE SQUARE SO FAR. We are considering "The Stand" for a yet to be purchased iPad. Then maybe we'll dump our TSYS card reader. Lots of folks are using texted or emailed receipts for their deductible purchases.

*gazinda = Southern Kansas Farmer-eze for goes in the

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »
I want them to shut up and shop, then shell out or ship off.
This is why I don't have a walk in shop. Drives me nuts how (many) people place so little value on their time and yours. You can spend 45 minutes hee-hawing and end up with a $30 order. And then they come to pick it up and spend another 15 minutes hee-hawing. Not for me. I take orders on the phone and through email, print the work and either ship it or deliver it, then move on.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
we use paytrace...you can log on anywhere any time and charge a card...pm me for my guys info.

sam

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 09:23:13 PM »
Now I'm really curious, if the Square Reader Ipad Stand

Gets a double thumbs up from me.

I see them all the time at local vendors and enjoy using my finger to sign for the purchase.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 10:20:45 PM »
This is why I don't have a walk in shop. Drives me nuts how (many) people place so little value on their time and yours. You can spend 45 minutes hee-hawing and end up with a $30 order. And then they come to pick it up and spend another 15 minutes hee-hawing. Not for me. I take orders on the phone and through email, print the work and either ship it or deliver it, then move on.

I can't say too much about it to my wife because that's what trips her trigger. Custys will gobble up HUGE blocks of her time, and when she's "entertaining" them, she's not doing HER work...or so it seems. But these same people keep coming back and bringing their friends...and they all spend money. So.

I'm still evaluating using the Square Stand as our on site system. But WOW...the square reader on our Androids are working GREAT so far, for our off site stuff. I'm sold....