Author Topic: Illustrator vector saved into psd for mockups-issue  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Illustrator vector saved into psd for mockups-issue
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:55:42 AM »
I have this PSD  file that has vector files placed into the PSD file for mockups. Thats a good think, but the problem is that there are multiple elements in this file like 30 that are vectors and raster images placed into each other, then combined (very small) into the PSD file.

I can't seem to flatten any of the elements (at a higher res and use it's vector source for the quality. It seems that whats in Photoshop (at that smaller size) is what I get.  So, I can open each element into the vector program, and that can be done, but tedious.  Then I ran into this issue. Somewhere along the lines, the vector had a bent affect applied to it.  This bent element is made up of about 5-7 parts and those parts each open up in the vector program as flat, not bent. All the elements must have been bent together. Seems I'm screwed unless someone has some info to give on this process.

Thoughts from the Illustrator crew?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:02:29 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Ripcord

Re: Illustrator vector saved into psd for mockups-issue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »
If this was my project I'd redraw that and combine everything into just one object per color. Since it's only a few geometric shapes it could be done in ten minutes or so and then you'd have just a few predictable and simple vector shapes to deal with.

Rather than bent, it looks to me like the graphics were just trimmed with a curve.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:09:18 AM »
probably need a newer version of Adobe. Want me to try it on CC?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 09:26:03 AM »
rIPcord,
If only it were just that building. I'm s that building + 6 other elements, each with the same iplaced method, (bent), + 25 other elements outside that...each placed from vector. Then, it's got some raster elements placed in other layers (about 5-7) outside the file as larger sizes. Seems I have to open each one, change to right size and Rez for the raster....and for the vector elements, change each one...size, and paste all into one file at actual print size...and reposition to matchovkup.

This is also just a sep job. Ugh.

Pierre, I tried the latest version on my lap top to open. No options avail. That I can find.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:55:07 AM »
Don't it just kills ya when other artist that are very good at art toss stuff together to look good but don't have a glue about getting it sep ready.  This would be a great topic about the difference in artist styles and media, we had an ad company we printed for before they went out of biz very nice art they did but hell to sep because of all the different elements they use to create it same with a college we still print for.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »
rIPcord,
If only it were just that building. I'm s that building + 6 other elements, each with the same iplaced method, (bent), + 25 other elements outside that...each placed from vector. Then, it's got some raster elements placed in other layers (about 5-7) outside the file as larger sizes. Seems I have to open each one, change to right size and Rez for the raster....and for the vector elements, change each one...size, and paste all into one file at actual print size...and reposition to matchovkup.

This is also just a sep job. Ugh.

Pierre, I tried the latest version on my lap top to open. No options avail. That I can find.

are you Photoshop CC 2014?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
I'm whatever the cloud account has provided cloud users so I imagine the latest.

This is not a function in a new version issue. This is a miss use or lack of production flow understanding.

I'm works great for putting a design together (for approvals) but all twisted for production.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 05:30:58 PM »
Can you place it into Illy and work on it? I had a psd recently that was actually easier to work on once I opened it in Illy; I really didn't expect that.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 06:44:26 PM »
Not that I've found. I placed it into illy but no go. Comes in as one raster element (at low Rez).  Well, the file is 300 ppi, but I s on a large shirt image.

Not an imediate need for an answer now, since I lost the sep job to Myseps who apparently knew the answer.  Good for him if he opened it as is and can resize and maintain true 300 Rez without  re-sampling.

Piecing it together was proving to be a project.

Offline peanutgraphics

• Screen Print Artist for 20 years
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 08:35:41 AM »
Recolor each element in PS using spot colors, then open the PSD in Ai, use the autotrace function, you'll need to play with the settings in the auto trace but since it's so geometric it'll give you a great start and then you can fix it in Ai and convert to spot colors properly
Give me a shout if you need screen print art