Author Topic: 4 Color Process  (Read 1406 times)

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
4 Color Process
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:49:14 PM »
Printing my first 4 color process (3 color process and two spot colors to be exact) tomorrow.  Seps courtesy of Mr. Dottone, and will be running the job on 305 mesh.  Any tips, tricks, or things to look out for that anyone would like to share, please feel free to do so.   ;D

Thank youuuuuuu.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: 4 Color Process
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 06:43:39 PM »
if you have a highlight white, print it after the yellow, helps with tones. 
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:53:20 PM »
Although you are using the same screen mesh, make sure to somehow keep the tension very close to the same.

Use sharp or fresh squeegees,

Use near 70 to 80 durometor or best yet, a triple.

Close off contact. Many are in the area of 1/8th"

Squeegee angle could be near 10 degrees. For many, the sweet spot might be 13 -15 degree.

Start out with just enough pressure on all heads to clear the screen and after sampling 4-6 test prints, then you can start to adjust. It may not be till you get 5 or so prints in before it can be trustworthy.

Emulsion thickness even for process can be all over the place when you ask people. In my opinion, without being able to measure your true eom, a 1:1 coat on 305 should be good but if using a sharp edge on foster, can sometimes be too thin. A 1:2 using a sharp edge can be used in my opinion.

On screen angles, use 22.5 or I hear 61 works in many shops. No need to have dif angles on each color for tee printing. For film, use elliptical for shape.

That's about all I can think of at the moments.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:15:42 PM »
I would suggest mixing up a few different ratios of halftone base to actual ink - reason being is once you start getting the screens opened up you might find that say your magenta is too strong and everything looks red. For that reason, I have 3 different cmyk "magentas" on the shelf. One that is full strength, one that is cut say 25% with base, and another that is cut 50% with base...... Those aren't my exact ratios but you get the idea. If you plan on printing cmyk weekly/monthly I would suggest doing this as it has helped me dial prints in using cmyk in the past. A lot of times we print a clear base as an underlay as well for cmyk, then add the highlight white. Our standard cmyk print order is base, flash, yellow, magenta, cyan, black, flash, top white

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 08:47:14 PM »
Call me in the morning.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 11:16:45 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys, it is greatly appreciated..

Pierre, called you about an hour ago.  You take the day off today?   ;)
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:39:45 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys, it is greatly appreciated..

Pierre, called you about an hour ago.  You take the day off today?   ;)

sorry, just got in, was at a clients. Call me now!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!