Author Topic: MSDS (or SDS) on a tablet?  (Read 5893 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
MSDS (or SDS) on a tablet?
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:12 AM »
I am redoing our entire safety data catalog and it got me thinking...why isn't this done on a tablet.  You are allowed to have an electronic system, so why not.

I have a fairly new tablet we don't use and my artist writes his own apps, so we are going to put something together.  Probably just an existing document management app for now to see how it goes.

First we are going to root it so all the junk is off of it and the only thing on it are SDS sheets.

we are going to put the tablet in the basket that holds the binder, plug it in(on a timer so it doesn't constantly charge) and just leave it there.  I can update the PDF's remotely and easily change how it's organized.

Offline htx

Re: MSDS (or SDS) on a tablet?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:12:57 PM »
Sorry, I realize this thread is long dead but I really want to do something similar at my shop. I some input and a few questions:

I want to build an electronic MSDS system that is both A) divisible by department/section and B) customizable in a way that allows me to write a table of contents and index that are hyperlink capable.

Questions:
How did you build yours? Is it a merged PDF, a collection of them, or something else entirely?
Have you experienced any shortcomings with this system so far?
For real, how'd you do dat?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »
based on the OSHA class I took, tablet is not an option. I could be wrong or things might have changed in last two years though . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jupmode

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »
We were told during our consultation that SDS could be stored online for employees to access. This implied both computers and tablets were acceptable.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 11:55:37 PM »
Yes you can keep the data on a computer, however, however, the computer must be in working order and accessible all the time...

So this applies: There must be an adequate back-up system and written plan for rapid access to hazard information in the event of an emergency including power-outages, equipment failure, on-line access delays, etc.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »
In our own experience, we keep digital and paper. In fact most of the MSDS I've gotten have been pdf's, so go figure. We print them out and they are in an easily accessible file folder in the shop. We are getting more and more paperless, so it seems odd to stay there, but this should cover you either way.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 12:00:03 PM »
The idea of a paper copy as a backup file makes a lot of sense to me.
I can remember simple power outages when I was younger that forced supermarkets to close while the old time corner grocers with regular swinging doors kept ringing us up on their old mechanical cash registers, or just did math with pencil and paper.
Now, I realize that a power outage won't affect a battery device, but who out there has never had an issue with a computer? Let me see your hands.
A really major catastrophe could also even eventually limit battery charging.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?