Author Topic: My first CMYK job.  (Read 9032 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
My first CMYK job.
« on: February 06, 2015, 06:53:26 PM »
Thanks to Starchild and Pierre for the help and pointers.

We aren't over the top proud of it, but given the time crunch we were given it didn't come out too bad.

This also has a high light white on it, trying to bring to make that canopy a little smoother... meh.

Of course that's a spot purple as well.

So all said and done we were rocking cmyk + white (flashing in that head) + purple spot... still rocking it out at 22 dozen an hour and this was a full print (we also had our logo as a tag below the color).

First one is the original JPG.  This one was cleaned up on around the edges as they had done a hack job and just sent us the original scan.  Ended up using their version as a selection to crop out of the scan of the painting their "version" of the state's shape.

2nd one is an actual t-shirt... sorry for the not so great photography... helps hide the flaws. ;)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: My first CMYK job.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:57:32 PM »
The A at the top not lining up with the corner of the shape bothers me, but otherwise it looks great!  Is the wash out on that little multicolored pastel area under the umbrella from the top white or the seps?  NOT a big deal at all, just curious.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:16:44 PM »
Yeah, we looked carefully at that... kind of one of those things... mostly it was lost in the seps I believe we figured.  If we had time, we could have had it reworked and reprinted and burned screens but they needed them TODAY.

The (bar) restaurant is under fire because the majority of their sales have to come from FOOD and not liquor.  They don't sell that much food but they are a great little bar that provides and needed outlet for small local talent (music and art).

One might think, why not get a regular liquor license ya cheap bastad!  Well, they would, but there is a church that isn't even open within 300' of them.  How freaking stupid!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:41:33 PM »
i think it looks great...nicely done
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »
Yeah, we looked carefully at that... kind of one of those things... mostly it was lost in the seps I believe we figured.  If we had time, we could have had it reworked and reprinted and burned screens but they needed them TODAY.

The (bar) restaurant is under fire because the majority of their sales have to come from FOOD and not liquor.  They don't sell that much food but they are a great little bar that provides and needed outlet for small local talent (music and art).

One might think, why not get a regular liquor license ya cheap bastad!  Well, they would, but there is a church that isn't even open within 300' of them.  How freaking stupid!

So because there is a church within 300' they cannot get a regular liquor license?  I could maybe understand next door but down the street!!!

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »
Good work, I think your print looks better than their art.  I think you lucked led out with this one being so heavy on the magenta.  We are constantly battling with overwhelming magenta.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 08:25:53 PM »
Nice job man!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 09:53:18 PM »

So because there is a church within 300' they cannot get a regular liquor license?  I could maybe understand next door but down the street!!!

Yep... it's retarded.  There is a bar literally across the street and one house down that is open with no problems.  It's even called a "saloon" and they get noise complaints like CRAZY.  But they are just that tiny bit further.

Here is a link to a news article about it, she currently buys enough food to make up the difference with her own money.

http://www.katc.com/story/28017120/artmosphere-struggles-to-meet-license-requirements

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 09:56:06 PM »
Good work, I think your print looks better than their art.  I think you lucked led out with this one being so heavy on the magenta.  We are constantly battling with overwhelming magenta.

Yeah, that magenta was kind of a sore spot for me.  Not enough and it looked like it was definitely missing something, too much and it was overwhelming and BRIGHT!

Then there was this overall burnt orange hue that I still don't feel like we ever got right.  I hope the hold up well and don't loose too much of their richness as I feel like they could have been richer still anyway. :(

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 09:58:18 PM »
i think it looks great...nicely done

Nice job man!

Thanks guys.  Boy, when we first started running the shirts (even though we were told "run 20 shirts to get things going"), I thought "oh my, what did I get us into?!?!"  It looked SOO bad!  Good bit of tweaking and letting all that build up happen and it started getting respectable.  Pushed it a little more and added that highlight white and we were off to the races!  Don't feel like we finished first, but I think we did pretty good with it.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 07:41:25 AM »
Looks really nice! I love printing CMYK, wish we had more jobs like that.

Congrats!

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »
Looks good! I'm surprised though, I would have thought you'd of had one of these under your belt already.
Tees and Coffee

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 10:57:28 PM »
Looks good! I'm surprised though, I would have thought you'd of had one of these under your belt already.

We really haven't done much in the process field.

We did the cool 4 colored sim process Red Fish (art and seps by Scott/Command Z) and we've done a few blends and such.  The fish was manual.

Hopefully things will change, especially now that we have the auto and repeatability is easier.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 11:08:29 PM »
Nice print man... I just ran my first 4CP and got so frustrated I ended up pulling it off press and running the job on the DTG.  Yours looks way better than mine did though. 
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 01:08:21 AM »
Nice print man... I just ran my first 4CP and got so frustrated I ended up pulling it off press and running the job on the DTG.  Yours looks way better than mine did though.

How many shirts did you run before giving up or drastically changing things?

Pierre said 20 shirts to get the build up going.  I can promise you the first 5 were wretched, the next five weren't much better, but there was a hint at "progress"... Then it started looking a little more like it was moving in the right direction and giving us an idea of where to start tweaking.