Author Topic: it should hurt to be stupid.  (Read 6241 times)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
it should hurt to be stupid.
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:20:42 PM »
welp. . .that about sums it up. . .Have you ever had a conversation for waaay too long with a brick wall. . and then the wall tumbles over on you and you get mad at yourself for standing next to the brick wall. . .? . .well I have and holy hell, it hurt. . .yeah -I'm stupid.

I had a guy today telling me it was unfair to charge him more money for a smaller quantity of shirts because it's less work -and ink- for me. . .and we went at it for a rather long time. . .I gave up. . .he still didn't get it. . . . .I couldn't believe I was having this conversation with this guy. . .just the logic he was using blows my mind. . .I should ask him who his dealer is. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: it should hurt to be stupid.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:33:40 PM »
You should have invited him back in the shop and let him watch a job from start to finish, and then see if he still uses the same logic in his argument.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline squeezee

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:29:53 AM »
That's my price because it is, if you don't like it why are you still here?
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline shellyky

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:08:14 AM »
had this happen 2 weeks ago...lady bought 500 shirts for an event.  80 whites, 400something blacks (different screens).  Comes at me again last week, says i need 6 whites and 40 blacks.  I give her the 40pc price and tell her i cant do the 6.  She goes CRAZY...says that i said i would offer her the same price as before on any order amount......No....

Finally she just dropped it i guess and ordered 100 blacks and didnt get any whites...

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:43:18 AM »
it was unfair to charge him more money for a smaller quantity

Should have told him..."yeah, that's what I told your girl friend last night".....BOOM! ;D

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:05:15 PM »
You should have invited him back in the shop and let him watch a job from start to finish, and then see if he still uses the same logic in his argument.

couldn't. Out of state customer. . .it was absolutely insane. . .but I won in the end. I guess.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Northland

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »
I've struggled to find an analogy that would put the quantity principle into perspective for customers. The only decent one I can come up with is "cookies". If you want one cookie it costs allot... if you want a dozen it's a better price.
Then again... no amount of rational logic helps with some of these knotheads.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:18:41 PM »
Scott (Image P) on the old board had both a unique way of pricing and a solution to this. He'd charge a ridiculously high set up fee, and then very little for each shirt.

So he (or you) could say, sure, the shirts are still only $2 each, but the re-setup is also still $400
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »
I had a lady insist that black isn't a color.

And a guy right now that I've literally spent 2 hours with, showed him the shop,
samples, measurements, different garments etc. Spot black on white shirts.

And another guy a few years back: "Your mouth is saying that you don't want to
give me a discount but your heart is saying you do."

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »

And another guy a few years back: "Your mouth is saying that you don't want to
give me a discount but your heart is saying you do."

What is my foot ready to say?

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
Last week I was so fed up with certain customers I was going to walkover to the garment printer and print myself a Tshirt that said "If its your fault, Its our problem"

Reason why is I am so tired of these people that you hammer into there head to make sure sizes are right and you have all you need including extras because we will not go back to print just one piece. Yet all last week all we got was phone calls of parents saying they ordered the wrong size or Parents forgot to order, or parents signed there kid up late etc.

And what is with all the charity BS are we a charity shop or a freaking business trying to make a living?
"No man is an island"

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »

This song sums it up nice, just loop the chorus for people like that.
 ;)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 06:13:10 PM »
it was unfair to charge him more money for a smaller quantity

Should have told him..."yeah, that's what I told your girl friend last night".....BOOM! ;D

Shane Mackie likes this.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 06:20:29 PM »
welp. . .that about sums it up. . .Have you ever had a conversation for waaay too long with a brick wall. . and then the wall tumbles over on you and you get mad at yourself for standing next to the brick wall. . .? . .well I have and holy hell, it hurt. . .yeah -I'm stupid.

I had a guy today telling me it was unfair to charge him more money for a smaller quantity of shirts because it's less work -and ink- for me. . .and we went at it for a rather long time. . .I gave up. . .he still didn't get it. . . . .I couldn't believe I was having this conversation with this guy. . .just the logic he was using blows my mind. . .I should ask him who his dealer is. . .

I get this a lot. I tell them it takes at least 3 hours of labor to get your job to press and ready to print. That is why less costs more, to cover the initial labor. Some get it, some don't. Some just don't get the concept of volume pricing.

Frog, I loved the way Scott did his pricing. I would love to incorporate that into my pricing at some point.