Author Topic: backing  (Read 876 times)

Offline mpot

• Verified/Junior
backing
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:13:23 PM »
A little help please, I have a 3" wide x 3.5" tall piece of embroidery that will go on the upper back, just below the neckline. It is almost like a patch, It will be stitched on sweatshirts. Because the density is so great should I be increasing the thickness of the backing? Or should I be using two layers of 2.2 oz.? I'm afraid it will pucker after washings.

Thanks for the help.
Matt

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: backing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »
Heat press the sweatshirt to pre shrink the fabric or run it under your flash or dryer..
You can't go wrong using two layers of backing with the exception of wearer discomfort which should not be a problem with the location you define.
At the end of the day there are 3 primary elements that will most influence the quality of the high stitch count embroidery;
1 the digitizing......
2 your machine tensions.....
and 3 your hooping methods. BE SURE not to stretch the fabric in the hoop , hoop it an neutral as you can.
Other than that you pays your dues and takes your chances.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Doug B

• !!!
Re: backing
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:03:25 AM »
  I would increase your stitch LENGTH (not density) in your fills and use as little underlay as
you can get away with. I have always used just one layer of 3.5 oz. backing.