Author Topic: Is this caused by bobbin tension?  (Read 2511 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Is this caused by bobbin tension?
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »
i changed out the bobbin and it seems better..

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Is this caused by bobbin tension?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:11:16 PM »
Could be, could also have been a build up / fuzz in the bobbin case. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 03:13:40 PM »
what kind of bobbins do you run?  we use magna-glides and tension issues are greatly reduced.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
what kind of bobbins do you run?  we use magna-glides and tension issues are greatly reduced.

We use the same kind magna glides and what you show in your pic looks to be that issue or it could be upper tension as well but my bet's on the bobbin.  Make sure you clean your bobbin case just a little fuzz caught up in there will cause problems and you race hook as well.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
yea..i do not think mine are magna glides.

ill be sure to get them.

now the tech told me the yo yo method.. but what screw am i supposed to turn? He said turn one and do not touch the other..

can any of you tell me which one?  LOL

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:11:13 PM »
i googled it..LOL

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »
buy a towa tension meter and don't look back...

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Remember that the bobbin works on E.V.E.R.Y. stitch. No so the upper thread course. Your problem is gonna be in the bobbin area 9 out of 10 times....or  even MORE on a well adjusted machine, because most of the upper thread paths are doing NOTHING, all day long, every day. Fuzz is going to build up under the springs of the bobbin cases and with additional wear and so forth on the bobbin, its always the first place to look when the "tug of war" that happens on every stitch is gone all whackadoodle.

Ask yourself,  "who's winning this tug of war? The upper thread or the lower thread?" In your pic, the upper thread is overpowering the lower thread. But your upper thread has "fresh legs" (probably) since for the last week, it hasn't been working every hour of every day. See?

That's just how I try to 'splain it to the help. Doesn't work worth a hoot, since I'm surrounded by wimmens. They glaze over pretty quick on mechanical stuff until they finally "get it". Not a one of them can master lefty loosey, righty tighty...left handed or upside down. Sheesh! We had a gal who could, but she went POOF a year or so ago....

Your problem presents to me as low bobbin tension. Sew a different color and verify, but don't be yanking around on those upper tension settings. Oh, maybe 5 to 10 times out of a 100. If you are a noob, the Towa Bobbin Tension Guage is a good tool. After some experience, it'll sit on the shelf, mostly. UNTIL you need to train somebody! Then you'll get it out again. Oh yeah. Trust me.

And we LOVE the Magna Bobbins too! Light years ahead of paper spools, that drag and pinch and mess with your mind.

Its just a machine and it operates under the laws of physics. Few mysterious anomalies actually exist down the stretch..You'll figure this out!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:53:20 PM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 04:53:05 PM »
fixed..tighten a touch and issue gone.

thanks!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 04:59:48 PM »
Sometimes a black bobbin can help hide these things if you can't seem to get them worked out or rather not fight with it at the moment. ;)

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 06:21:22 PM »
Sometimes a black bobbin can help hide these things if you can't seem to get them worked out or rather not fight with it at the moment. ;)

Better to fix the source of the problem lol

Even bobbin tension is a beautiful thing.  Don't forget to sometimes change the bobbin case out completely.  One of the last things to do but the spring just stops working right at some point even with tightening.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 01:15:19 AM »

Better to fix the source of the problem lol

Even bobbin tension is a beautiful thing.  Don't forget to sometimes change the bobbin case out completely.  One of the last things to do but the spring just stops working right at some point even with tightening.

Oh, absolutely!  But if you can't seem to get it and have to get the job out of the door... Or you don't want to chance it rearing its head again and ruining an expensive shirt... It's cheap insurance. ;)