Author Topic: Plasticharge Headache  (Read 2591 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Plasticharge Headache
« on: March 03, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »
60/40 next level black shirts giving me a fit trying to use plasti charge from union, print looks beige instead of a nice white...anyone care to give me the run down of what they think might have gone wrong beside user error. :-[

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Plasticharge Headache
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 05:45:29 PM »
2 things:
The first obvious one is that the garment perhaps doesn't discharge well, and second, have you done well with it on other shirts?
Is this the white one or one you are mixing white with the base?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 05:55:57 PM »
Yes I've used it before on Next level but they were 100%, Yep mixing white ink with a plasticharge base...I was thinking my DC agent might be getting old and not working, right now I'm at a total lost.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 06:01:17 PM »
I have had hit or miss luck with the NL 60/40s.  Some discharge great, some don't.

Dealing with a similar issue today, discharge on black NL3600 100% cotton. Re-dyes I think (print has a reddish tint).  I have samples from the same run on an Anvil 980 that look perfect, but I am going to do some wash testing this week to make sure.  Fortunately it is only the XL and 2XL that seem to be doing it, and the run was very small so it is only around 5 total shirts hopefully.  Annoying being brought post-washed prints that don't meet your standards though...

After printing thousands of Anvil 980s with discharge, I honestly can't think of a time I got a re-dye that messed with the print.  Not sure why I run in to it with more frequency with AA/NL etc.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
For those unfamiliar, the hybrid plastisol/waterbased discharge inks from Union and Wilflex/Oasis are a little different animal than straight water-beased discharge.. The Oasis I used was reputed to not be as white when mixed compared to the actual white version available. I don't know if Union has a similar issue.
The other thing that made it less than desirable for some jobs was their 'pastelization" THe end result was way lighter than the intended color mix target. It took some real fiddling to get what I wanted.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 06:50:55 PM »
Ran discharge white on some shirts this morning.  Some discharged great, others looked dirty.....

All brands had been run before with great success.

Gotta love batch to batch inconsistencies with garments.

Darryl:  Always test on garments you know will discharge to rule out your ink as a factor.  Before our production run this morning we did that.  The white was beautiful and bright.  Production showed another side.... yay super fun times ;)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »
Yea I always test, but I do so many small runs that often if there is a particular size that is a problem (like I'm dealing with today), then the shirts aren't even out of the dryer before I am finished with the run of that size.  I think it would honestly just cost too much for most of my clients to tack on an extra of each size/color just for testing pre-production discharge.  I always test one, but 5-6 seems like overkill. BLEH.

Off topic, but while I'm venting...just finishing up 150 AA2001/2012 and by my count around 25% have side seams and the rest don't.  I am doing 3 colors and 4 sizes in each style, and there is literally no consistency.  At random one will just have a side seam and the next wont.  How does that even happen...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:38:09 PM »
@Colin I did a test print which I do all the time but on a 100% Tee and it did fine but it still had a little tint to it not bright white as I would have liked but workable, so that's why I started my run.  Only did one as I always do and just what you said the print looked very dirty, DC is great if and when it works, and I have another job on black with a 3 color dc this week  :'(

darryl

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 12:05:53 AM »
The downside to discharge.

Unless you can manufacture your own blanks like some people we all know ;)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 11:40:37 AM »
The 40 part would make me suspicious right off the bat, but we've had tri-blends that discharge well, and yesterday we were running PC61 Deep Marine, and 48 out of 50 XL were dull and lifeless, where the other two were great, as were the smalls through large; go figure...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
NL 6210 black is no go for DC.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
I have to look at my notes, but I think the midnight navy of that style DC's like a god damned champ though.  No idea why...

I might be thinking of the vintage navy triblend though (NL6010), just can't remember off the top of my head.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »
I have to look at my notes, but I think the midnight navy of that style DC's like a god damned champ though.  No idea why...

I might be thinking of the vintage navy triblend though (NL6010), just can't remember off the top of my head.

Many of them do, just not black. 

Offline ol man

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 07:31:47 PM »

typically only if they are heathered

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 07:43:26 PM »

typically only if they are heathered

Yup