Author Topic: things to consider converting single phase to three phase?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline hoogie

• feel free to email hoogies@bnin.net
things to consider converting single phase to three phase?
« on: March 05, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »
Looking into moving into another building, but it only has single phase running to it. What are the things that should be taken into account when looking into converters? Press, dryer, air compressor and a flat bed press are all set up for three phase. Any body have likes or dislikes of the brands of converters out there? I will be checking with the power company about running three phase to the new building but it might be to salty not sure. They did bring it into this building for free so who knows. I'm just starting to research this and thought I'd like to hear what everyone has to say or there experience.
Hoogie...

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: things to consider converting single phase to three phase?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:55:02 AM »
Consider the total load and if the service at single phase will be able to handle it.
If it's an electric dryer considering the size of the draw may be beneficial to convert to single. That can apply to all the equipment. Look at the cost of buying new single phase motors over the cost of the converter. 
Not sure what you mean by too salty.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 08:56:14 AM »
while you can get rotary phase converters, you'd likely need a bunch of them.... likely one for each load... in the end, it would probably be cheaper to convert most of the devices to single phase (new motor for your compressor, blowers on the dryer, rewire your flashes, etc)

keep in mind: 

if you're using 200a 3-phase today, you'll likely need at least 300 or 400a 1-phase.

to get the same amount of wattage to a device in single phase as 3 phase circuit, you'll need thicker cables.

motors (especially air compressors and the blowers on your dryer) tend to run more efficiently as 3-phase and will last longer.

IMO: You're better off either getting your power company to upgrade the power, (or if it's a lease situation, having the landlord do it), -or- passing on the building.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 09:13:06 AM »
I had a 5hp rotary converter running an old Precision Oval. Worked great at the time. I wouldn't run multiple loads on one converter unless it was seriously oversized for the combined load.

If the power company will give any discount, try to negotiate with the landlord to pay a portion as well. It really is a structural improvement that makes the building much more attractive to businesses. Here, AEP does charge reasonable prices to hook up 3 phase from the pole to the building (3-7k for two buildings I had quoted). The panel and rewiring the building with an electrician can cost a pretty penny too.

What size compressor? I think 7.5hp is about the biggest single phase motor you can get for a compressor and they're $$
What's the load rating on the 3 phase dryer? We could tell you what it would be wired single phase. That'll be the biggest chunk of power.
Have any quartz flashes?

Offline islandtees

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 11:38:38 AM »
If your purchasing the building I would upgrade. We just installed 400Amp 3 phase in a building we just purchased.
If leasing and the landlord wont do a upgrade I would pass.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:23:37 PM »
Make sure the power company REALLY checks the site out. Make sure they send someone out to see everything, also doesn't hurt to have your electrician look.

We had it added to or building and the original quote was something like $20k. After another site survey or two I(not to toot my own horn) actually noticed a 3 phase line running on a other side of our building(we are on a corner). After some figuring and whatnot the power company agreed to change where our drop cane in. With our "anticipated" ;) load it actually ended up costing us $0 with the power company. $500 or so to have our current circuit panels re routed to our new entry point.

I was much more comfortable with $500 over $20k ;D and all because we didn't take the first "solution" provided.

It is kind of funny, since we are on a different grid/line or whatever you call it when the power in the neighborhood goes out we still have ours. The apartment over part of our shop can even lose power and we are still lit up!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Huh huh He said "load".  Sry had to say it

Richard Reilly - Fluid

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ®