Author Topic: Embroidery Puckering  (Read 1875 times)

Offline mhprinting

• Verified/Junior
Embroidery Puckering
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »
Hello all,

Been a long time reader and decided to post because I have been having a long time issue with puckering.  We have a Chinese embroidery machine (it sucks), but we have to make do with what we have.  Almost every single design we do puckers and it's hurting my business.  We have tried almost everything to prevent puckering all from getting thicker backings, mighty hoop, loosening bobbing tension, switching digitizers, and we are still getting puckering. 

We have a potential big job in April and I want to fix this as soon as I can.  We will be getting about 290 button down shirts that are 60/40 cotton/poly.  Initially the design was about 31,000 stitches, but we got it down to about 23000.  This will be going on the left chest.  Any tips on what type of backing I should use?  This is a very big order and I don't want to mess it up.  Any tips?

Thanks,
  Mike

Offline Ryan

Re: Embroidery Puckering
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »
I would try some of this. I have some that I use on poly and stretchy items. Works better than some of the other stuff I've used
http://www.gunold.com/c/302/performance-backing

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 07:42:30 PM »
i do not think that will help. 23K for a performance polo might be just too much.
Too much tension and not adequate backing with a combination of many stitches will do that to you.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
yeah...farm it out.  i would try and sew one or two, but the time you waste on this could be made sewing or selling something else.  Also, how many heads do you have?

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 09:48:48 PM »
Two pieces of Cutaway should stabilize anything.

The majority of the work we do is contract if you want to farm it out to us. We run 6/12 head Tajima machines.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline mhprinting

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 11:17:38 PM »
Yeah you're probably right, I may have to farm it out.  And we have a 6 head 12 needle

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 08:06:31 AM »
6 heads aren't bad, but 23,000 stitches will kill you.  if it was 4-9000, easy.  or if you have a ton of time open for your embroidery person.  You are looking at over 5 days production on that job...

I personally would farm it out.  Get a sew sample first. 

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 12:50:48 PM »
Is it puckering right after you sew or after a few washes?...I don't think the machine being a cheap one has to much to do with puckering, more like DK said tension and backing. We have a customer that hates a heavy backing because they don't wear an undershirt so we use one pc of backing and have not had any puckering problems far as I know....and we don't have the best market brand machine.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mhprinting

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:15:53 PM »
Kind of a long shot, but I heard this before.  Would it help if I ran the garment before it's embroidered on in the dryer then run it again in the dryer once it's done? 

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »
Higher tension values can cause more puckering. I'm not saying it is your particular problem, but it might be...

I've seen it several times.