Author Topic: How many color  (Read 8262 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: How many color
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 10:22:43 AM »
Hi All

Thank for your answer, I appreciate

Looking for the permission for print that, yes we have the permission and I have to make sample before.
I'll never print  illegal picture for 200 or 500 t-shirt.

Thank
Michel,

Just make sure that the permission is actually from the legal department at Universal Studios...

Exactly, and I seriously doubt they are contacting manual printers to print this shirt.

if it's a small event or a small location it is possible. Think a local restaurant that is licensed or a play in a school . . . We've printed Wizard of Oz shirts for a local school's musical for example.

pierre

Well I didn't say it wasn't possible, just doubt it. It's for sure possible that they are providing him a shirt jpg, no seps, no pms colors and of course permission to print.

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »
We've printed Wizard of Oz shirts for a local school's musical for example.

pierre

I would sure like to see the paperwork on this....Generally the licencing allows for production of posters, programs, etc......But "rarely" will it allow for production of merchandise of any kind....

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 10:42:05 AM »
We've did those high school plays and we got a cd with vector,pdf, jpeg files in Illy, corel with a  paper saying the school had permission to this image printed.  I might have printed some of Dan's art from Disney who knows, but all the art was sent to us on a cd with that permission to print paper.  I know very well known art is easy to spot but I'm willing to bet we all have let some copy right art slip thru without knowing, I know I did this once with a custy that was a very good artist and found out months later they had redrawn the art.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 02:10:41 PM »
My wife is a theatre teacher.  The school pays around 600-1000 per play for licensing typically, and they get rights to the play, the right to use music and associated art in the production, produce programs/posters/shirts, etc.  Some of them explicitly stipulate that any material produced must include the school name, dates of performances, etc on the item (I assume so it can't be sold to a wider audience as easily).  They just did little mermaid recently and it was one of the more expensive licenses she has used.  There is actually a pretty huge market of free to perform plays for schools just because the licensing for mainstream ones is so pricey.

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 03:41:34 PM »
Some of them explicitly stipulate that any material produced must include the school name, dates of performances, etc on the item (I assume so it can't be sold to a wider audience as easily).

Some we have printed have rejected the art proof b/c the name of the school or organization is not on the same side as their art. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 05:37:40 PM »
we do a lot of the printing for schools and their plays. every time the school signs up to do that show, they get a packet of info that has the misc show info and logos and other random stuff. it also says that they have the right to print up/market whatever they want with the shows name and logo. in rare cases, we've even received vector artwork for some of the plays. but most of the time, its crap :)

Ditto this; however, when they are Disney plays, like Aladdin Jr., they have vector art.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »
Asking a stupid question here, so if he is printing this for a customer and they are not selling them for any retail why not print them? 

I just had this following conversation yesterday with a client over a single digital transfer shirt for which we didn't have the rights.
"But I'm not selling them" he said, "But I am!" I had to reply.
I did tell him, that he was probably a little more legal making his own transfer and applying it himself.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 09:17:52 PM »
I would still print a black. Use cmyk black or a 50-50 mixture of cmyk black and plastisol.  Will helo clean up and give more definition to the detail. 

Richard Reilly - Fluid

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 09:18:48 PM »
Agree with Pierre. Havent figured out how to quote with this app.

Richard Reilly - Fluid

Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »
Hi All

Looking for the permission for print that, yes we have the permission and I have to make sample before.

Thank
Michel,

Just make sure that the permission is actually from the legal department at Universal Studios...

Exactly, and I seriously doubt they are contacting manual printers to print this shirt.

Dont bet on that. A lot of high end sampling still gets done on manuals. Running a small run through one is not all that uncommon. We have run sample runs that number in the hundreds and have been shipped all over the world to sales reps and potential vendors.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 07:36:17 AM »
Hi All

Thank
Michel,

Dont bet on that. A lot of high end sampling still gets done on manuals. Running a small run through one is not all that uncommon. We have run sample runs that number in the hundreds and have been shipped all over the world to sales reps and potential vendors.

Do you really believe Universal Studios would contact a manual printer and not provide him Seps and PMS colors for this shirt.  In addition do you believe they would select a manual printer that could not determine color count of the job?

There is the context of my original reply.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »
Hi All

Thank
Michel,

Do you really believe Universal Studios would contact a manual printer and not provide him Seps and PMS colors for this shirt.  In addition do you believe they would select a manual printer that could not determine color count of the job?

Not only do I believe it but I have experience in it. We have printed for several movies during the production phase and yes some of them were printed on a manual. It is usually a PA or someone that works for the producer wanting shirts made for the cast and crew. Most of these people dont even know how the shirt process works anyhow so they are not going to be able to know if the printer knows what they are doing or not. Not everything goes through Universals merch department back here in Universal City. Most productions have a budget for swag and choose to push the money locally to help the local economies where they film.

Not trying to be a dick but whats happening above does happen a lot more than you realize especially out here in movie land. We just embroidered hats for a movie being filmed in Louisiana. The referral was made by a Grip that got a hat from something else we did work on. The Producer saw it and wanted some for their set. I have done contract work for a printer that cant determine color counts for movies they have done work with. If you guys dont get any of that business your not going to realize that this is not all that uncommon.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 10:27:17 AM »
like most things in life, its not about what you know (or in this case what type of equipment you have) but all about who you know. i know we've printed some jobs in the past we had no business getting. but it was all about the contact.

not saying this is the case, but just that it can happen.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 10:52:24 AM »
Hi All

Thank
Michel,

Not only do I believe it but I have experience in it. We have printed for several movies during the production phase and yes some of them were printed on a manual. It is usually a PA or someone that works for the producer wanting shirts made for the cast and crew. Most of these people dont even know how the shirt process works anyhow so they are not going to be able to know if the printer knows what they are doing or not. Not everything goes through Universals merch department back here in Universal City. Most productions have a budget for swag and choose to push the money locally to help the local economies where they film.

Not trying to be a dick but whats happening above does happen a lot more than you realize especially out here in movie land. We just embroidered hats for a movie being filmed in Louisiana. The referral was made by a Grip that got a hat from something else we did work on. The Producer saw it and wanted some for their set. I have done contract work for a printer that cant determine color counts for movies they have done work with. If you guys dont get any of that business your not going to realize that this is not all that uncommon.

I agree there are exceptions to everything in life.  I will lean to 9 times outta 10 that a when a printer is asking how many colors are in a copy written logo that is likely they don't have permission to print it to start with.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 11:15:23 AM »
Hi All

Thank
Michel,

I agree there are exceptions to everything in life.  I will lean to 9 times outta 10 that a when a printer is asking how many colors are in a copy written logo that is likely they don't have permission to print it to start with.

agreed, 9 out of 10, but that makes the one person being blamed for something they did not do. Also, the poster seems to be from Canada and if he is in a remote part of the country, it is possible he is the only one around to get the order done.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!