Author Topic: All Over Dye Sublimated Shirts - Mega Thread  (Read 3888 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
All Over Dye Sublimated Shirts - Mega Thread
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:01:30 PM »
So for the first time I have easy access to a large format heat press and a huge printer running sublimation inks and I want to make the most of it. I have seen lots of shirt brands that focus entirely on all over dye sub on shirts and some of them seen to be making a killing.  I'm not sure how many member of the boards do this kind of work, in house or outsourced, but I wanted to discuss all the different facets of this kind of "printing".  Some general topics:

-How do you market this service and to what kind of clients? *This is probably what I am most interested in finding out from other members
-What run sizes are typical (I know one offs will likely be a larger percentage of "walk in" type business with this, but would love to do larger runs)?
-What are you charging and are you doing any breaks for quantity?
-Preferred brands/styles for this type of work (I have seen some dye sub shirts that advertize as being treated to be soft like cotton but wonder if that also makes the finished product less impressive looking)?
-tips/tricks to get the best results?

Really any info would be great.  I get interest in this kind of stuff from time to time, and know other shops in my area do as well, so I want to hit the ground running with this.  Thanks!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: All Over Dye Sublimated Shirts - Mega Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:13:37 PM »
Maybe too "mega"for the general sections.  Some of the questions you have, like pricing, will need to be answered in the verified member sections, so expect some splits.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 09:26:54 PM »
No worries.  I'm fine moving the whole thing if it helps keep the discussion moving, but whatever you feel is the right move is cool with me.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
Well, hopefully, most of the info you get will be of the non-restricted variety, like most technical advice threads here.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 10:00:31 PM »
I Am very excited to start contracting these to you.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 12:30:55 AM »
I did artwork for a company that did sublimated cycling and triathlon jersies, it was a ton of work to make sure all design elements met up over seams on all the different sizes.

As far as I'm concerned the companies that specialize in that sort of thing earn every penny they charge.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:15 AM »
For now I will probably skip the bike jerseys. They have strange cuts, pockets, etc. And I think most of those are cut and sewn after the sublimation.

Eric, can you elaborate on who is asking for this kind of work and in what kind of volume and frequency? Feel free to pm me about any specifics.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 10:29:53 AM »
For now I will probably skip the bike jerseys. They have strange cuts, pockets, etc. And I think most of those are cut and sewn after the sublimation.

Eric, can you elaborate on who is asking for this kind of work and in what kind of volume and frequency? Feel free to pm me about any specifics.

this is how the typical phone call or email goes:

"Aye/Hey yo, i want one shirt, like from "here" to "here". All i've got is this picture of my friend wearing a shirt just like it."
Night Owls

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »
Haha!  Well, with shipping etc, I would think somewhere in the $60 range would be about right for that.  Not sure though...

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 10:38:32 AM »
We do AOP and other sublimation on finished garments. You will need templates for each brand/size, lots of work goes into this. Those soft feel shirts will not have vibrant colors. Monag brand is our go to, they lay pretty flat but pretty much any brand will bunch-up in the armpit seams. Design considerations are the work around for problem areas, just like any other AOP process. Use the "tacky" paper for AOP, Beaver is our preferred brand. Do not use the cheap dye sub inks, you get what you pay for and they can be costly. I think that is all I can give you here but PM me any other questions on markets/pricing or the process itself.

If anyone is wondering the answer is... No, we do not do contract work.
Dale Hoyal

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 10:51:45 AM »
Haha!  Well, with shipping etc, I would think somewhere in the $60 range would be about right for that.  Not sure though...

When we do these, we do them through Jak Prints. I think i've done 3 over the past 5 years.

Typically shirts were in the $70-$80 range after our mark up, and customers have been fine with it.
Night Owls

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »
we do them through Jak Prints. I think i've done 3 over the past 5 years.

Typically shirts were in the $70-$80 range after our mark up, and customers have been fine with it.

After working with them and seeing how the operation works. there is some good value in this if you have the ability to do this kind of work.

Think along the artistic market side of things.. have a look at their site for some ideas.

As for the printers for this, mimaki all the way. Cheap enough to keep a spare on the side so when a head goes south, you just wheel another in.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline BorisB

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 02:56:01 PM »
Along with cut & sew we offered AOP as well.  None sold. Our customer never accepted fact that T-shirts don't lay completely flat and as such prints aren't perfect. Smudges, blurs & creasing were deal killer. We work in promotional products and sports industry. No fashion. Maybe it was also geographical issue. Most of our clients are form Germany, Switzerland and Austria. Creasing is no go for them.

Quality you see from Jakprints and others is no big deal with right equipment.

John made two very important remarks: -go for fashion; -go for Mimaki

Inks: Manoukian, J-Teck, Sensient, Marabu.  We tried Korean to save 10-15 eur per Liter. Well, we didn't save any. Just pissed few customers with lack of vivid and intense colors. And more ink went in cleaning bottle.

I know you didn't ask tech stuff, but still.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 03:02:16 PM »
The Mimaki printer suggestions may be moot as one of the caveats for getting involved in sublimation mentioned in the original post was that Mimosa has fallen into "easy access" to an existing printer and large heat press.
Perhaps with luck, it is indeed, a Mimaki printer.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 04:26:48 PM »
I have little to no control over the tech side. That end is entirely under a friends control. His business is fine art reproduction and he has extremely picky clients so I am not worried about the quality. Obviously I will pass aling suggested ink brands and any tips and tricks though so those are appreciated.

He purchased the setup for a different niche but wants it to get more use and I think tees would be a great direction. I will be handling clients, marketing, blanks, setting up templates, etc.  I have a lot of my own branded stuff I will be doing with this , but wanted to wrap my head around the wholesale side of it as well.

I appreciate all the info so far and will be sending some PMs over the weekend
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:40:49 PM by mimosatexas »