Author Topic: Most common fines.  (Read 5969 times)

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
Most common fines.
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:38:04 PM »
Hello all.  

I think it would be great for all of us to be proactive on all the regulations that are out there and I'm thinking that if we create a thread that states what we have been fined for in the past (maybe) it will help others on what OSHA is looking for when/if they do an inspection.  

We recently got a visit and here is what they got us for:

1. We didn't have a written safety and health program.  This is not only MSDS's since we have all of that.  They are looking for an action plan so to speak.  What gets me on this is when you 10 or less employees you don't need to keep records of anything after the fact, you just need to have a plan set up in the beginning.  10 or more then you need to keep records after the fact as well.

2. We did not have a permit for our air compressor.  Never knew I needed one.  Makes sense I guess.

3. We did not have the fire extinguisher tag filled out for every month.  We have someone that services our extinguishers annually, and we also have the fire department that comes every year to make sure it has been serviced....but what osha is looking for is that every month the tag needs to be signed and dated.

4.  Fuse box needs to have every breaker labeled....no exceptions.

5.  I had the cover off of 1 of the embroidery machines that I was fixing the timing on.....THIS IS A BIG NO NO.  I was told that after every adjustment I need to put the cover back on before I have power going to the machine.  Makes sense....just a big hassle.

Anyhow, I think if others posted some things that they may of got hit for or what they have heard from others on what they got hit for maybe I/we can save each other from future fines.

Take care,

Jon
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 12:54:14 PM by repogolfer »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Most common fines.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
Hey Jon,

great idea and great info!

Are these rules specific to each state or does it apply nationwide?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »
Hey Jon,

great idea and great info!

Are these rules specific to each state or does it apply nationwide?

pierre

Pierre,

Great question, and I have NO idea.  Honestly all of this was a big surprise to me.  I know here in Kukufornia things seem to be a little more strict on other issues, but I honestly couldn't tell you on rules for other states. 

I know when OSHA showed up we also had 4 other gov. agencies come through the door at the same time.  They visited all of the shops in our town, and everyone of us had issues.....and on a side note all of us are going through the issue of getting a garment license to be able to print shirts legally in CA.  Another great thing our state decided to do....

I added a couple of other violations to the first post....remembered 2 other ones.

Jon

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »
WOW.  Man, talk about important subjects on a forum This is GOLDEN.  I think if you each indicate what state your in, that should be good enough.  Man oh day.

getting a garment license to be able to print shirts legally in CA.
  Yea, man. sucks. They want ta get you for every little thing they can.

Here in my State of Florida, just to do business, I need a Fictitious business name license, a STATE license, a COUNTY license....and a CITY license. C'mon REALLY?  Sheesh. ::)

Oh,  then,  Then the City came up with this additional fee. It's not a business license, It's a USE fee.  All I can be told is that It''s a fee to cover having a person to go around and make sure your actually doing what your licensed to do. ...It's that what a business license does?  and don' get me started on the Florida TAX thing. :'(
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »
WOW.  Man, talk about important subjects on a forum This is GOLDEN.  I think if you each indicate what state your in, that should be good enough.  Man oh day.

getting a garment license to be able to print shirts legally in CA.
  Yea, man. sucks. They want ta get you for every little thing they can.

Here in my State of Florida, just to do business, I need a Fictitious business name license, a STATE license, a COUNTY license....and a CITY license. C'mon REALLY?  Sheesh. ::)

Oh,  then,  Then the City came up with this additional fee. It's not a business license, It's a USE fee.  All I can be told is that It''s a fee to cover having a person to go around and make sure your actually doing what your licensed to do. ...It's that what a business license does?  and don' get me started on the Florida TAX thing. :'(

Good thing we make millions a year to cover all the fees that they impose on us...j/k.

How about this one:  I had to take 5K out of savings and put it into a CD and have the State as the payee if something should ever come up.  The money is totally out of my hands for 3 years.  The interest is mine after 3 years but still this is all because we did not have the garment license and we have 1 employee.  So for a $100 fine for not having the license they make me put 5K away just in case we get another fine.

Jon

Offline DraginInk

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »
WOW! Californacation takes on another meaning reading that! Florida doesn't sound much better. Do you guys order the lobster when they take you out for a nice meal??? ;) Hawaii ain't perfect by any means.... just seems they don't have the man power to keep up with the inspections or just don't care. My insurance company did send someone out a few years ago to make sure that printing shirts is all that goes on in the shop... Now I wonder if that info went to someone connected with the state also??? hmmm. Big Bro ain't too heavy over here as long as your not making life hard for others, I guess.

Oh, P.S. ... TAXES SUCK!
Here we go ...again

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 03:50:35 PM »
Mass isn't so good either. We used too much lacquer thinner one year, and paid a $3800 fine, in January, when we had so much to spare. If we fought it, it would be closer to 30K. So we settled for the $3800. Is that bullying? Be clean, keep records. If you're trying to hide something, they can smell it. If you're just ignorant about a particular issue, but show you have some practices in place, they'll work with you. Get ready to get some brown on your nose.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't