Author Topic: diving into waterbase  (Read 5248 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: diving into waterbase
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
want to dive in eh..

put on some board shorts, burn a screen, add waterbase ink, pull the squeegee and look at that... you're printing waterbase!

yeah it really is that easy.

The hard part is picking an emulsion, what brand of ink to use, all the additives, the wicked expensive scale to measure into the .01 range to make pms colors that don't match the book and all the leftover discharge ink when the job is done.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Onewithpez

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »
I would also like to know about open time. I live in a very dry climate and most of the time, my shop hygrometer is in the low 20%. Is there a ink line that is a little more user friendly when it comes to drying in the screens?

The only waterbased ink I have tried is the Green Galaxy white, but I am looking for a full line of pigment and bases to mix what I need. Ryonet (I know, probably a curse word around the professional world) claims that this ink has excellent open time. But I still had some ink drying in my screen in the time it took to run a shirt through the conveyor.

I do have a sample of D-Base and B-White but I don't want to try them as I currently live above my shop with my young kids. Well I guess that is enough tangents for now.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »
I would also like to know about open time. I live in a very dry climate and most of the time, my shop hygrometer is in the low 20%. Is there a ink line that is a little more user friendly when it comes to drying in the screens?

The only waterbased ink I have tried is the Green Galaxy white, but I am looking for a full line of pigment and bases to mix what I need. Ryonet (I know, probably a curse word around the professional world) claims that this ink has excellent open time. But I still had some ink drying in my screen in the time it took to run a shirt through the conveyor.

I do have a sample of D-Base and B-White but I don't want to try them as I currently live above my shop with my young kids. Well I guess that is enough tangents for now.

We use the GG White and black every day. granted our shop is in Houston, where it's usually pretty wet. But we just add some water to the ink, and there is zero issues with it staying open.

Also GG has said they are going to launch a set of pigments in the next 2-3 months. But you can buy their bases and use matsui and rutland pigments
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 08:03:36 AM »
@Onewithpez- there are additives or there that help with open time, different names depending on the manufacturer. Lubricant, retarder or whatever else. Like Eric said water works also. Keep in mind though adding things like that usually extend the time the garment need to be in the dryer.

Also GG has said they are going to launch a set of pigments in the next 2-3 months. But you can buy their bases and use matsui and rutland pigments

They have the pigments and everything already, we have been trying them for probably close to a year now. The main issue is a mixing software. It isn't 100% yet, getting there, but I believe he doesn't want to release something sub-par.

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »
@Onewithpez- there are additives or there that help with open time, different names depending on the manufacturer. Lubricant, retarder or whatever else. Like Eric said water works also. Keep in mind though adding things like that usually extend the time the garment need to be in the dryer.

They have the pigments and everything already, we have been trying them for probably close to a year now. The main issue is a mixing software. It isn't 100% yet, getting there, but I believe he doesn't want to release something sub-par.

this is really cool to know. I know Danny was testing them as well, and he was getting really good results with them. I've been trying to get some of wilflex and rutland's inks, but i've been finding it very difficult to get HSA info from Rutland.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 09:07:55 AM »
I would say the most complete HSA system we have used is from Magna. Not that it doesn't leave something to be desired, but that is probably just HSA in general! :P
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Rob Coleman

diving into waterbase
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »
I would say the most complete HSA system we have used is from Magna. Not that it doesn't leave something to be desired, but that is probably just HSA in general! :P

IF anyone would like more info/detail on the Magna High Solids waterbase,  shoot me an email.  Happy to help.
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline jamiem

• Verified/Junior

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 07:22:54 PM »
https://www.sgia.org/garment/events/2015/09/making-switch-water-based-inks

I looked to see if you posted an intro about yourself but I wasn't able to find one. I'm assuming your the Jamie from Latitudes that will be presenting this class? If so I would love to talk with you. Charlie Taublieb was in my new shop that I'm building a few weeks back and had quite a few really nice/good things to say about Latitudes up in the northwest. I would really enjoy talking to you guys about somethings as well as your hsa/virus experience as recently I have been testing the crap out of hsa products.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline jamiem

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 08:35:17 AM »
Yes, that is me.  I would be happy to speak with you.  Let me know how you would like to arrange.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »
Yes, that is me.  I would be happy to speak with you.  Let me know how you would like to arrange.

Welcome Jamie!  Hope all is well in Portland!
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
Keep an eye out for an upcoming Printwear article on this very subject from Joe Clarke. Some of you may recognize the pics.

Offline acescreen

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 02:15:16 AM »
We took the waterbase dive last fall and are having great results with the CCI line. They do have a starter kit and a very easy to use color matching system. They offer all chemicals like a hardner/remover, retarder, etc to make the jobs flow smooth. The D-base and D-White are really good. I've been running it through a mini sprint slow @ 365*  I've used a few emulsions but the best one seems to be the Murakami SP-1400, largest run to date was a 1,100pc run (straight base on a 50/50 garment). Although it seems like base alone is not as harsh on the emulsion, when we use base with pigment or D-white it seems to break down quicker. Take your time and put in some time and it gets easier to deal with and the results are great. Only thing I still can't stand is all the ink we toss.

Mike