Author Topic: Reclaiming Pressure Washer  (Read 7550 times)

Offline 1964GN

Reclaiming Pressure Washer
« on: April 16, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
We are looking at getting a new pressure washer this weekend to replace the el cheapo (done with those).

Whats more important for reclaiming... PSI or GPM? We are looking at a few and are zeroing in on a 2000 psi/1.5g and a 1450 psi/2g.

Any suggestions?

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
Re: Reclaiming Pressure Washer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 03:44:28 PM »
From the interwebs...

PSI rating isn't the only spec to keep in mind when pressure washing, however, there is also the GPM rating (Gallons Per Minute). It is said in the pressure washing industry that the pressure (PSI) does the cleaning, but the water flow (GPM) cleans it faster. Pressure washer PSI and GPM work together to provide the most efficient cleaning. Getting the job done faster also means saving fuel, so not only can a good pressure washer save you time, it can also save you money."

To illustrate the importance of this concept, we have a spec known as CU (Cleaning Units). CU is simply a number derived from multiplying a machine's PSI and GPM, but it is a representation of the amount of time a pressure washer will take to clean a surface.2 The higher the CU, the less time it will take to clean, and again, the more time you save, the more money you save.

A 2,000 PSI rated machine that runs at 4 GPM will produce a CU of 8,000 (PSI X GPM = CU). Similarly, a 2,500 PSI rated machine that runs at 2 GPM will result in a CU of only 5,000. In this case, because it has a higher CU rating, the lower PSI machine will get the job done faster. Of course, you cannot use 500 PSI to clean a house or 1,200 PSI to clean a parking lot, but when comparing pressure washer machines, it is important to consider all the factors that determine the eventual output in order to find the model that best suits your needs and budget.

We have this one and we also bought the gauge too. We have it set at 2100 psi.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347872_200347872?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Pressure%20Washers%20%3E%20Electric-Cold%20Water%20Pressure%20Washers&utm_content=1573021&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1573021&gclid=CNqRtp6M_sQCFYsCaQodWnQAqw

Most important thing you can do for longevity is change the pump oil on a regular basis.
Dale Hoyal

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »
Thanks... this is one that we are looking at http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350515_200350515

Unless someone thinks another model would perform a great deal better.

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »
Take a Look at Mi-T-M pressure washers. Don't bother with the 500$ (Apparently we go through too many screens per day for it) one, go for the commercial one. Ours was $900, worth every penny. 1500 PSI, and decently quiet. Gone through few thousand screens, no problems yet.

Only thing I would say is see if you can get the one with the auto on/off feature. Right now we have to turn ours off right after we stop spraying to prolong pump life.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline shirtz

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 06:34:20 AM »
Check out Ameritech just south of Bearss Ave on Hwy 41. They sell commercial electric units that deliver more bang for the buck. I know i've tried almost all of them. The best part is when you need service they are the best.
Don't waste your money on a cheaper version....pay me now or pay me later type of thing.
Just my 2 cents good luck

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 02:48:57 PM »
We use an Mi-T-M 1500psi for developing and we have an extra as a spare...which we have used for reclaim.  Dire times.

I inherited the screen department with a failing and long neglected Hydro Engineering Hydro Blaster (3000psi, 3.5gpm...I think) for reclaim.  I didn't think much of it.  I replaced it with 3000psi 4gpm Mi-T-M electric.  That thing worked great but just wasn't built to run as much as we needed it to. 

After dealing with that I decided to give Hydro Engineering another shot.  Holy crap am I glad I did.  It was significantly cheaper than the Mi-T-M (by $1500, if I recall correctly)...and it's also built for screen printing reclaim. 

It's got so much kick to it that you can easily de-stencil without any chemical whatsoever.  I don't recommend that, but, it's a great demonstration of how powerful they are.  Great deal.  I highly recommend them.

Offline Croft

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 02:59:34 PM »
Ive been very happy with this KARCHER industrial pressure washer, its the smallest of there industrials and is repairable , One has lasted us 6 years of daily use.  Fairly cheap at around $700, and I have found the best place to buy has been from Janitorial / cleaning suppliers

http://www.karcher.com/us/Products/Professional/Pressure_washers/Cold_water_pressure_washers/Cold_water_compact_class/15141360.htm

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »
3000 psi was night and day versus 2000. Go for biggest PSI you can, and 240 volt if you can do it is probably better.
I don't think that GPM plays too much into our situation, more for sidewalks and windows I would imagine.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 03:21:49 PM »
We replaced our Camspray 1500-a with one of these last year.
http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Pressure-Pro-WM-EE2015G-AS-Pressure-Washer/p10086.html

So far so good.  I used to recommend the Camspray but after realizing that the pump is permanently attached to the motor and is not completely rebuildable I would say to avoid units like that.  I liked this unit because it's just a few easy to source components and you can get a kit to rebuild the triplex plunger pump. 

Def agree that 3k psi and 240v is the way to go.  We just didn't have room for another 240v circuit so are using 110v.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »
I have two of the $99 1.4gpm 1500 psi Lowe's brand units, one going on 5 years now and the second about a year.  No issues here...well worth the cost :D

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 07:03:45 PM »
I have this one.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350514_200350514

I have only replaced one small relief valve in 5 years. More pressure would be nice but not needed.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 08:00:19 PM »
I have this one.

I have only replaced one small relief valve in 5 years. More pressure would be nice but not needed.

We also have this one.  No issues.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
I have this one.

We use this one as well, but we are on our second one. The first one lasted about 4 years, but i believe there was an issue with it from the beg. as we had to have the motor rebuilt on it, about 1 month in. The New one we have, is way stronger than the first one as well. That was a shock to see how much more pressure we were getting after grabbing a brand new one.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 10:49:54 AM »
I have this one.

We use this one as well, but we are on our second one. The first one lasted about 4 years, but i believe there was an issue with it from the beg. as we had to have the motor rebuilt on it, about 1 month in. The New one we have, is way stronger than the first one as well. That was a shock to see how much more pressure we were getting after grabbing a brand new one.

Does the motor on those run the whole time you're washing even when you release the trigger? Think that will be my next pressure washer.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 11:14:32 AM »
We ended up with the one I linked in my last post. Kicks butt. There is no pressure switch, so it does run continuously. We have it set up in a way that makes it easy to turn on/off if needed. I think it's going to make a BIG difference for us.