Author Topic: Reclaiming Pressure Washer  (Read 7560 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Reclaiming Pressure Washer
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »
I have this one.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350514_200350514

I have only replaced one small relief valve in 5 years. More pressure would be nice but not needed.

We also have this one.  No issues.

We use this one as well, but we are on our second one. The first one lasted about 4 years, but i believe there was an issue with it from the beg. as we had to have the motor rebuilt on it, about 1 month in. The New one we have, is way stronger than the first one as well. That was a shock to see how much more pressure we were getting after grabbing a brand new one.

Does the motor on those run the whole time you're washing even when you release the trigger? Think that will be my next pressure washer.

it does, so we are always switching it on and off.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Screen Medics

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 01:11:22 AM »
We have determined that around 1300 psi and approximately 1.6 gallons per minute of water flow cleans fastest without risking damaging screens.
We used to buy commercial grade or heavy duty pressure washers but after buying several from Costco over the years we have decided both of them last about the same amount of time and clean about the same speed. 
The current pressure washer at Costco right now is about $139.00 and if it goes out within a year or so Costco will accept it back. 

With commercial units repairs cost more than that and all we had then was an old worn out pressure washer with some new parts on it.

It merits your consideration.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 01:37:27 PM »
<snip>We have determined that around 1300 psi and approximately 1.6 gallons per minute of water flow cleans fastest without risking damaging screens.<snip>

...Really...

I've had a commercial unit on my short list of shop upgrades forEVER...

But my last Home Depot unit is going on WAAAY past 2 years now, and I got a refund this year. (weird...) So I was about to pony up for a Cam Spray 1500, and that would be the equivalent of about 5 or 6 Home Depot washers.

You give me pause...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »
I haven't tested anything, but I know my 1500psi on the tightest spread won't damage any mesh I've hit with it yet including S-mesh, even an inch away...I would say with almost certainty that having higher psi and being able to use full on fan setting with more psi would be the fastest and wouldn't damage anything.  I have no way of knowing how much psi the full fan setting on my lowe's cheapo puts out, but it is just under "good enough" for super thick or hardened stencils so I usually use about a 50% fan (I forget the exact spray angle tip I have on it right now, but it is about half as wide as the full fan.  Shrug...

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 02:02:42 PM »
We have determined that around 1300 psi and approximately 1.6 gallons per minute of water flow cleans fastest without risking damaging screens.
We used to buy commercial grade or heavy duty pressure washers but after buying several from Costco over the years we have decided both of them last about the same amount of time and clean about the same speed. 
The current pressure washer at Costco right now is about $139.00 and if it goes out within a year or so Costco will accept it back. 

With commercial units repairs cost more than that and all we had then was an old worn out pressure washer with some new parts on it.

It merits your consideration.

What volume of screens are you doing a week. I used residential grade pressure washers when I got started but one of those would never last 3 months now. I bought mine from Sams club. They worked fine but when they go down they leave you stranded. I have had my unit for 4 or 5 years now and it has had next to no problems. Why do you think 1300 PSI is the max before it will damage the screen. I have a 1700 and it has never hurt the screen.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »
http://www.lowes.com/pd_623643-53393-GPW1600_4294612660

Does wonders with my screens. Around $110 with 2 year replacement plan is well worth it (Unless you are doing 30 or more screens per day)
My first Home Depot cheapie worked about 4 years, but then again, I do about 30 screens a month.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 02:10:06 PM »
We are running two units right now, doing about 200 screens a shift. They are both the same....2500 PSI at 4 GPM. Use on all mesh counts from 26 TPI to a 355-31. (that's thin!) Running them a hair over 2000 PSI according to the gauge.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »
http://www.lowes.com/pd_623643-53393-GPW1600_4294612660

Does wonders with my screens. Around $110 with 2 year replacement plan is well worth it (Unless you are doing 30 or more screens per day)
My first Home Depot cheapie worked about 4 years, but then again, I do about 30 screens a month.

That's the one I have two of currently, though the specs look like they changed slightly.  I think mine were 1500 psi and 1.3 or 1.4 gpm, but I'm not 100% sure.  I am averaging between 50 and 75 screens a week right now (sometimes more and sometimes less, usually doing two shifts of reclaim a week right now with maybe a fill in if I am missing a count I really need), almost entirely S-mesh (though I use 110 and 280 standard mesh also).  One unit is around 5 years old, maybe older now.  The other I got some time last year.  Neither has had a single hiccup.  I have them on all the time pretty much and they engage when you pull the trigger.

Not sure I would even consider a more expensive unit unless it was literally being used all day every day and I wanted significantly more power.  If one of these dies I can grab a replacement for $100 3 blocks away in a 30 minute round trip...

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »
We are running two units right now, doing about 200 screens a shift. They are both the same....2500 PSI at 4 GPM. Use on all mesh counts from 26 TPI to a 355-31. (that's thin!) Running them a hair over 2000 PSI according to the gauge.

What model washers do you have? I want done them faster...not necessarily cleaner. And I think my Home Depot units are pretty feeble compared to an honest 2000@4GPM.

How long do they last?  I rarely reclaim over about 50 a week, but that is changing...

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2015, 06:42:51 AM »

What model washers do you have? I want done them faster...not necessarily cleaner. And I think my Home Depot units are pretty feeble compared to an honest 2000@4GPM.

How long do they last?  I rarely reclaim over about 50 a week, but that is changing...

I read your dirty washout out booth thread. Upgrade your pressure washer and you'll find the tank stays cleaner, and is easier to clean. The increased power seems to liquify the emulsion when washing out instead of creating a nasty mess. :)

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2015, 07:15:44 AM »
We are looking at getting a new pressure washer this weekend to replace the el cheapo (done with those).

Whats more important for reclaiming... PSI or GPM? We are looking at a few and are zeroing in on a 2000 psi/1.5g and a 1450 psi/2g.

Any suggestions?

For those of you attending the Greaves on Garments at Mind's Eye workshop in Decatur next week you can check out our pressure washer installations.  Our industrial park neighbor Aquablast www.aquablast.com is a leading custom PW mfg for many industries and custom builds for any scenario.  You will have time to visit their installation on Friday if interested, we have been using the same Aquablast unit for over 20 years and just rebuild the pumps or replace the electric motor as needed.

Not inexpensive up front but a great value over the years as you buy just what you need with industrial performance.

And yes it is more about water volume than PSI, make sure your water supply line can feed the unit you install, if you starve it you will burn out the pump motor everytime.

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline redwoodtees

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 11:40:26 AM »
Any opinions or experience on this unit?
http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/BE-P1515EPN-Pressure-Washer/p10248.html
BE 1500PSI/1.6GPM

Things I like about it:
Auto-Start/Stop
Quiet, according to the reviews
Small footprint (my sink area is impossibly cramped)
One of the least expensive "semi pro" pressure washers I have found (pressure washers direct lists it for $379 with free shipping)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 06:15:02 PM »
Time to do this again. You guys using the northstar units, are they holding up? would be nice to get one that we can get at least 5 years out of. The plastic cheap 100-200 units just will not handle 6-8 hours of use 5 days a week. We have been using a camble hausefeild electric unit that's done good for about 3 years but the auto off pressure switch can't handle the heavy water pressure of our building, and if we back off a little it starves it. I guess it's just a bad design. I do like the idea of a unit that shuts off when you let off of the trigger because you can never trust an employee who walks away for a break to turn off the unit ect.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 06:38:25 AM »
Time to do this again. You guys using the northstar units, are they holding up? would be nice to get one that we can get at least 5 years out of. The plastic cheap 100-200 units just will not handle 6-8 hours of use 5 days a week. We have been using a camble hausefeild electric unit that's done good for about 3 years but the auto off pressure switch can't handle the heavy water pressure of our building, and if we back off a little it starves it. I guess it's just a bad design. I do like the idea of a unit that shuts off when you let off of the trigger because you can never trust an employee who walks away for a break to turn off the unit ect.

While we haven't had our for years, so far it's been a great unit. I can't believe we struggled with the el-cheapo models for so long.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 09:35:01 AM »
Our Northstar electric has been gold for 10 years.
Small shop, but never have had to worry about it.