Author Topic: Barcodes on Frames?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Admiral

Barcodes on Frames?
« on: April 16, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »
Anyone put barcodes on frames? I was thinking of maybe printing them out on a thick paper, then epoxying them to the frame.  Anyone have a better way? We do use a dip tank.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Barcodes on Frames?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 06:47:38 PM »
For what purpose?
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
Put Packing tape over them. That's what we do with our mesh counts.
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 10:34:07 PM »
I'm shocked at how well the packing tape resists the dip tank chems.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 09:34:20 AM »
New Buffalo does this...from what I have been told, when they scan the bar codes they can recall the last time the screen was tensioned and to what tension, mesh count, who made it, job # for each screen...a really kickass tracking system...awesome idea for the larger shops.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Admiral

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »
New Buffalo does this...from what I have been told, when they scan the bar codes they can recall the last time the screen was tensioned and to what tension, mesh count, who made it, job # for each screen...a really kickass tracking system...awesome idea for the larger shops.

It will be something like this but a bit more tracking.  Anyway, may as well go with the packing tape instead of epoxy, easier, less expensive and won't permanently be on the frame.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 07:51:30 PM »
Brother P-Touch label printer with the 3/4" yellow heavy duty labels. Survives the diptank repeatedly, no extra tape needed. The software that comes with it makes barcodes. All our frames are numbered now, with the mesh count and tension entered into a spreadsheet. Once we move to a new ERP system all the design codes of cataloged screens will be entered too and the screens can be easily scanned and the design codes and colors entered when they are burned. Then we will know at a glance what is shelved and when it was burned and where the tension was, and when it falls below spec.

Work in progress.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »
Brother P-Touch label printer with the 3/4" yellow heavy duty labels. Survives the diptank repeatedly, no extra tape needed. The software that comes with it makes barcodes. All our frames are numbered now, with the mesh count and tension entered into a spreadsheet. Once we move to a new ERP system all the design codes of cataloged screens will be entered too and the screens can be easily scanned and the design codes and colors entered when they are burned. Then we will know at a glance what is shelved and when it was burned and where the tension was, and when it falls below spec.

Work in progress.
I just bought one of these to do the same thing. I can't wait to get everything logged on a spreadsheet, & easy to access from anywhere. ( over 3k screens logged for reprint ) This needed to happen a long time ago.

Murphy37

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 06:22:25 PM »
What about RFID tags?
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »
we just bought a ton of extreme durability labels and put those on.  I ordered labels 1" high by 7" long and we cut them apart into the different meshes.  Works great.  We are all statics, so retensioning data isn't needed.

I could see how this would be awesome for some shops.  A custom app built for this wouldn't be that hard.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 10:20:47 AM »
industrial marker with cheapo clear packing tape here.  I have yet to have tape come off a single frame.  Also use a dip tank.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 10:58:14 AM »
If you have a solvent or a latex printer for signs. Just print on vinyl and apply

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »
we put ours on a white background so they are freaking stupid easy to see under the yellow lights or from across the shop.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »
industrial marker with cheapo clear packing tape here.  I have yet to have tape come off a single frame.  Also use a dip tank.

You are manually drawing barcodes?  That's impressive. ;)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »
:D