Author Topic: looking for a good orange ink  (Read 1815 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
looking for a good orange ink
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:22:45 PM »
to go on darks typical 100% cotton and 50/50 tees and fleece.
My white ink works better than the orange I have been using, I need something better.
we print manual
230 to 156 mesh typical
any suggestions
thanks
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Ripcord

Re: looking for a good orange ink
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:50:26 PM »
I use Union Maxopake. Print, flash, print, then flash and print a third time. The third print is an extra step but gives the print a very smooth and very opaque look.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:11:11 PM »
We use Dolphin Orange and a white underbase is mandatory on darks.

I wish I had something better.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »
Hey Rip & Stan,
thanks for the info. Kind of just what we are doing here, underbasing or PFPFPFPFPFPFPFP ::)
I hate orange on anything dark.
What really kills me is we are in the heart od Syracuse "Orange" territory so I see killer orange prints on royal blue , navy and other darks all over the place and I can't figure it out.
I know those SU duds are printed by the big boys with the big toys but damn I would like to get close to the results they are getting.
Thanks again, at least now I don't feel so alone way out in the woods.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »
You can get a good orange print no problem if you've got a good underbase (doesn't mean is has to be a thick one).
Either that, or discharge it.

Offline Robert Clark

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:15:12 PM »
If you have never tried One Stroke Inks Colormax or Hybrid series you might be missing out, very high opacity and no under base of any kind. Just a print flash print on your print cure it up, then call it a day ! Just let me know if you have any questions
Robert Clark
One Stroke Inks
Senior Account Manager
rclark@osinks.com
(800)942-4447

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
I've always thought underbasing a one color print was a waste of time. Opaque inks are made for the very purpose of printing on dark fabric. For me the second flash and third print replaces the underbase (the print actually has an underbase, it's just the same color of ink and no need to register another screen) Orange and yellow print fine this way. Red, for some reason looks maybe a little better with a white underbase, but I'd say not enough to make it worthwhile. If you lay enough ink down it will be completely opaque.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »
ripcord, while underbasing may seem like a waste of time, printing something 3 times is probably more of a time waster...

also, most opapue inks don't hold up to laundering as well as they do when underbased with a good white..the will crack faster.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »
ripcord, while underbasing may seem like a waste of time, printing something 3 times is probably more of a time waster...

That's true if you have a multi station press...For me it's extra work to print a two color job with a flash because I only have a single station...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 03:18:59 PM »
yeah, we are auto.  I still find the prints to last longer and look better when they are white based though.