Author Topic: Inkjet Heat press  (Read 4948 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Inkjet Heat press
« on: May 01, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »
Any of you do simple inkjet heat press's, if so what is the best inkjet printer to us for this...not trying to go full production just a hand full here and there.  All my epsons are black only printers now for seps, so I'm needing by a printer that will at least print up to 11 x 17 paper.

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Inkjet Heat press
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »
I'm getting great results from my Epson 1100 with pigment inks, but it's no longer available.
Check out whatever is available from them now in their Workforce line that has oversize capability,
Then look into pigment inks in either refillables or bulk feed from someone like Cobra.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline herbertconcepcion

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:45:31 PM »
The Epson 7610 is a great option. It has pigment inks, prints up to 13 x 19, and its only 150 bucks on Amazon.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:03:36 PM »
The Epson 7610 is a great option. It has pigment inks, prints up to 13 x 19, and its only 150 bucks on Amazon.

what would be the better option for inkjet transfers, the 7610 or the 7110?  What about for dye sub? films?  ok looks like the only difference is the 7610 has the scan/copy features.  Same inks etc.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:06:54 PM by mimosatexas »

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:10:21 PM »
I do inkjet transfers all the time. In my opinion you might as well buy the cheapest printer you can find. You'll get good results with any printer. I use an HP that I bought at Wal Mart.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
That's pretty much the replacement for the WF1100 (though not the same carts), and looks like for minimal additional moolah, and oversized scanner which used to be cost prohibitive.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:18:08 PM »
Yes, that is the only difference. I bought the 7610 because the price between the two wasn't much and my wife could use the scan/copy feature frome time to time.
For dye sub I am planning to buy one of the Epsons L series. Probably the Epson L-1300. It comes with original CIS installed. Just need to put dye sub ink in the tanks. I dont know how easy can you find it in the US, I am in latin America and its available.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
Found this review on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2WXTAP6MKC6L9/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00JXLGEUM

Seems to suggest that you could potentially print films/transfers that are 13xwhatever (roll media cut to size I guess) which would definitely come in handy on occasion for me.  The 7610 seems to feed paper differently so you are limited to thinner paper and only the predefined supported lengths.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »
I do inkjet transfers all the time. In my opinion you might as well buy the cheapest printer you can find. You'll get good results with any printer. I use an HP that I bought at Wal Mart.

While I agree that one can get surprisingly great results from an inexpensive printer (I paid $90 for my WF 1100), like with photos, a good eye will see the difference on a better printer.
For instance a four color printer just can't do the same job as a 6 color printer. once again, that said, most clients are thrilled with my stuff!

One also doesn't want to settle for the cheapest if that also limits them to 8.5" x 11"
One could not survive screenprinting limited to that size.
I do lots of oversized on tabloid, and though 13" x 19" paper is tougher to find, it's available as well.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 07:25:02 PM »
What would be the reason to buy the 1300 when you can get the same print size capability and can have the CIS preinstalled on the 7110 for less than half the cost?  it says the 1300 is about half the speed as well.

Frog: thoughts on refillables vs CIS?  You use the cobra pigment inks for your WF1100 and print your films with it as well right?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 07:41:45 PM »
Yes, Cobra pigment ink (in refillables) works quite well for films on the "water resistant" type that is now the most common.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »
We use inkjetcarts.us and they are also good for both.

In reality, they are probably from the same source. :)

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 11:38:52 PM »
What would be the reason to buy the 1300 when you can get the same print size capability and can have the CIS preinstalled on the 7110 for less than half the cost?  it says the 1300 is about half the speed as well.

Frog: thoughts on refillables vs CIS?  You use the cobra pigment inks for your WF1100 and print your films with it as well right?
The advantage of the 1300 is that it has CIS (OEM) by Epson. It is manufactured for this purpose. Bigger ink tubes which results in less cloggin. It is expensier but it is not a modified printer. I get one year of warranty.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:05:50 AM by herbertconcepcion »

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 10:42:33 AM »
You will be using aftermarket ink though, which will negate the warranty I would think.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »
i think there was a court ruling that stated you couldn't void printer warranties by using aftermarket ink.