Author Topic: Can this be done as 4 color process or 5 color sim process job?  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Got a request for 1000 white tees, which is great but unfortunately the artwork is made from 14 different spot colors. We can do max. 8 colors on our press. My question now would be if it`s possible to get a good result doing this as a 4 color process job or even a sim process with 5 or 6 colors colors?

Offline 1964GN

Re: Can this be done as 4 color process or 5 color sim process job?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:44:42 AM »
4cp on whites all day long.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:17:13 AM »
4cp on whites all day long.

agreed, as much as I can't stand 4CP, this is a perfect fit.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:44:29 AM »
All those spot colors..........

With any print method:

You will see color shift of some shades.

On some shades you will see lots of dots (due to low color density i.e. nothing above say a 40% dot)

The better the shirt, the better the color vibrancy.

Also, CMYK has poor fibre trap, so be aware of the possibility of lots of fibrillation.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 09:56:01 AM »
i would honestly send it to a separator and see if they can compress it to 8 color sim process...it would be easier I think.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 10:00:59 AM »
CMYK will work of course, but not be dead on color wise, an 8 color sim would probably be better. Either way, they aren't going to get all of those colors dead on, but do they really expect that? And will they listen to a reasonable explanation as to why?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
I just hate 4CP...i really hate that offset printers come in here with a sim process job on darks and tell me I should be running it in 4 colors.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 11:40:41 AM »
That's is a lot of colors, being that your in Japan printing that on those long tables would be idea, everybody get a screen and haul azz.  This brings a question I'd like to ask about art so I start another thread in Art.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 04:29:33 PM »
I just hate 4CP...i really hate that offset printers come in here with a sim process job on darks and tell me I should be running it in 4 colors.

I've had that happen, only to have to explain that they don't know their azzes from their elbows. Ask them how they would print the same image on dark, uncoated stock... We do a fair amount of it, usually with good results and not much makeovers, though the other day...

Steve

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 06:38:41 PM »

With any print method:

On some shades you will see lots of dots (due to low color density i.e. nothing above say a 40% dot)

Also, CMYK has poor fibre trap, so be aware of the possibility of lots of fibrillation.
That was exactly my thought. For example the light grey areas, I would suspect there to be just very few black dots which might look rather bad.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 07:36:59 PM »
CMYK will work of course, but not be dead on color wise, an 8 color sim would probably be better. Either way, they aren't going to get all of those colors dead on, but do they really expect that? And will they listen to a reasonable explanation as to why?

Steve

Ditto this.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 07:43:30 PM »

With any print method:

That was exactly my thought. For example the light grey areas, I would suspect there to be just very few black dots which might look rather bad.

For this job, I would sep it to have black print 1st and colorized the top colors. This way you don't see any stark dots of black. Getting stepped on 6-7 times helps it to look more closer to a spot color.

Still, it's not going to match 100% but more like 80% and more consistent than process. The larger the order, the more difficult it is to keep it same or close to same as first 100. Shops that can, have all their i's dot-ted and Tees crossed.  See what I did there?

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »
Maybe it`s be better to get this done with waterbase inks, the dots might blend a lot better.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 01:03:11 PM »

With any print method:

For this job, I would sep it to have black print 1st and colorized the top colors. This way you don't see any stark dots of black. Getting stepped on 6-7 times helps it to look more closer to a spot color.

Still, it's not going to match 100% but more like 80% and more consistent than process. The larger the order, the more difficult it is to keep it same or close to same as first 100. Shops that can, have all their i's dot-ted and Tees crossed.  See what I did there?

Black underneath, cool idea, and why not, we overprint white halftones onto solid areas of color to not have to worry about "filling in", seems like the other side of the coin that I apparently never flipped over. Thanks Dan...

Steve