Author Topic: oh my transfers have become easy  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
Re: oh my transfers have become easy
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 08:08:48 PM »
If doing multi-color, you flash in between colors and the last color remains wet, then the powder is applied. How does the adhesive stick to the ink that was flashed on press? Traditionally when processing multi-color transfers the last color down would cover previous colors, not be flashed and powder applied.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »
If doing multi-color, you flash in between colors and the last color remains wet, then the powder is applied. How does the adhesive stick to the ink that was flashed on press? Traditionally when processing multi-color transfers the last color down would cover previous colors, not be flashed and powder applied.

That is a question I've always had myself.

No matter which transfer system/powder you use it's the same thing.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 06:55:22 AM »

it sticks to it just fine.  I am printing some transfers this morning so I will do a video of the process.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 06:57:11 AM »

That is a question I've always had myself.

No matter which transfer system/powder you use it's the same thing.

If you send it to the dryer set for full cure, ink will bond with adhesive. Just as with T-shirts. Flashed and wet ink bond with fabric.

Offline Rocky Bihl

• Verified/Junior
  • Technical Director / Formulator @ One Stroke Inks
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 07:28:41 AM »
This adhesive powder and technique was developed to allow transfer printers to make successful transfers for 100% polyester garments. The newly designed transfer powder that we call our "Transfer System Powder" (we do sell regular adhesive powder so be precise if wanting to try!!) is the key to this technique. Other types of transfer powders will not have the correct melt temp, bleed resistance or the holding power to withstand multiple washing/drying cycles. This technique does work with most ink series we sell, but if you are printing on heavily textured or mesh type polyester material and want LONG TERM BLEED RESISTANCE, a true poly ink like our Bravo Flex series will give the best results. We also sell paper specifically designed to be dimensionally stable if running multi-color designs.  A design printed with our Bravo Flex series on this paper,,, coated with our Transfer System Powder,,, fully cured in dryer,,, heat pressed@ 275F for 13 seconds yields  a very supple, bleed resistant, durable transfer.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:35:06 AM by Rocky Bihl »
Rocky Bihl
Technical Director/Formulator
One Stroke Inks
502-366-1070 cell: 502-750-1111
rbihl@osinks.com

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Removing excess powder
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »
Does anyone besides me have difficulty in getting the excess adhesive powder off the non printed parts of the transfer?

I called a little while ago and Rocky relayed through my sales rep some possible fixes for this problem: Making sure the paper is dry (and shrunk) with a trip through the dryer prior to printing, Vertically tapping the paper on some hard surface, or Compressed air.

That excess adhesive WILL spoil shirts the way I do it.

It may well be a humidity or static electricity problem. I have not tried the air nozzle, but I NEED to fix this issue.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 10:53:16 AM »
I have had some of the same issue and what we have done is tap the paper vertically oir air hose both work.  But if you do have some of the powder left and it does get that shie effect on the shirt where there should have been none the we have found by reheating the finished shirt under the press without the transfer paper and just using a teflon sheet the glue/powder will disappear most time.  you can also use a little letter off to get the remaining out very easily.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 11:00:58 AM »
We have the same problem with using transfer powder as well and what I've started doing was taken my finger and rubbing the spot's where the unwanted powder is, takes a little longer but it saves the garment.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 12:14:23 PM »
Darryl, do you mean rubbing the GARMENT after heat pressing? Or rubbing the powder off the paper with your finger.

@ aauusa, I've not heard the term "letter off" before today. Do you mean spot cleaning solution through a spot cleaning gun...like Methylene Chloride or Tex Out?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »
@ Crooked rubbing the extra powder off the paper, you can feel it and know that spot will be a problem
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 12:30:58 PM »
@ Crooked rubbing the extra powder off the paper, you can feel it and know that spot will be a problem

a soft paint or make-up brush is good for this, and also less likely to mess up the ink if the powder is close.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline aauusa

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »
we get ours from sun belt lettering  just dab a little on a cloth a rub   Methylene Chloride

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 03:15:23 PM »

a soft paint or make-up brush is good for this, and also less likely to mess up the ink if the powder is close.
[/color]

Frog, do you use the soft brush you are describing before the oven? I think the powder is kinda hard to remove AFTER the curing process.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 03:29:51 PM »

[/color]

Frog, do you use the soft brush you are describing before the oven? I think the powder is kinda hard to remove AFTER the curing process.
Yeah you're right, it sort of bakes on so when I have done it it was before curing that's after a shake after a blow and all that stuff. It's that damn static electricity sometimes that just makes it stick even before it's baked on.
I guess 3deeps technique catches the stuff that's still there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?