Author Topic: Anyone's Accurip stop working after the last windows updates?  (Read 16047 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Anyone's Accurip stop working after the last windows updates?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 11:52:33 AM »
FM supports printing out of all cartridges if so desired. Also anything 17" or less works with standard (cheaper) version. It does have more controls and produces cleaner output. AR on the other hand is transparent and much easier to get going. It also prints directly to the printer unlike FM which adds an extra step. For most shops AR will do just fine and if you are computer challenged it might be a better choice. For the almost the same amount of money, FM makes more sense. One thing though, Cadlink's support is not very good so if you are not familiar with RIPs, go buy the version Scott Fresner sells (see his banner up top for T-biz). His is tweaked to be slightly easier to use and you get support from him.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 12:16:44 PM »
I have to give FM a small thumbs up, I upgraded last week and was anticipating a lot of aggravation getting the printer and FM working together. Surprisingly they made the initial set up far easier and pretty much does it all in the back ground for you. No fussing with duplicate printers and port issues.

But somehow the CD they sent me had a version on it that had incorrect settings once installed. Basically their is hidden advanced settings that have to be turned on if you wish to use the advanced settings its not default. With in those settings the out put was set to 3% by default and could not be over ridden with out going into the advanced settings. I did the RIPS density test which happens during install, it basically prints out a series of tests and you pick the one that looks darkest with out pooling. I kept doing that but my films kept coming out see through. I finally had to call and let them remote to my PC. The tech was stumped him self for a while then he discovered the incorrect settings from install. He had no explanation as to why it was and was probably burned to the CD like that so I bet their is many more copies out there with the same issue.

Other than that they are improving and making their set up more intuitive.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »
I agree FM support is quick to say "you need to pay for our support". 

Then again, many people made the switch to FM or BP because their copy of AccuRIP just up and decided to not want to work properly and when asked for help they were told "you need to upgrade to BP if you want it to work again."

Several users had that experience.  No reason original version should have stopped working (isn't that how this topic started actually? and maybe it's simple things like what happened to Mimosa in another thread and that was just their default answer).  I'd rather have them say "you get one free initial call then pay for support" like FM does than to force an upgrade on you over supporting a product you already paid for.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
The tech call was free it was just purchased as an upgrade. Pretty sure there is a pretty short time period of free support then they want your CC before they talk to you.

Oh and did I mention the debacle with the licence? No of course not lol.

The latest version of FM requires a different type of dongle so the older ones do not work anymore, I had to pay $50 for the new version along with the upgrade price. OK fine not really a big deal, they send you a new dongle and a temp license file till you can send in the old dongle and get a permanent license. I install FM go through the issues with the settings then next day come to work and guess what the program wont run outdated license. I call them and get a little testy, explain the goddam old dongle is in UPS and I only got to run the program one damn day. The usual sorrys but can you please send us tracking info etc on the RMA'ed dongle. I do that for them and they give me another temp license then i lay into them about such bull $hit procedures and straight up sloppy mistakes always had to be dealt with.

Still all in all the program rocks just dealing with the sloppy business can be a hassle.
"No man is an island"

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 03:51:57 PM »
look on the bright side.. you didn't pay $3500 bucks for Wasatch and be told you need to purchase tech support on your first call to them..
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 04:11:48 PM »
The tech call was free it was just purchased as an upgrade. Pretty sure there is a pretty short time period of free support then they want your CC before they talk to you.

Oh and did I mention the debacle with the licence? No of course not lol.

The latest version of FM requires a different type of dongle so the older ones do not work anymore, I had to pay $50 for the new version along with the upgrade price. OK fine not really a big deal, they send you a new dongle and a temp license file till you can send in the old dongle and get a permanent license. I install FM go through the issues with the settings then next day come to work and guess what the program wont run outdated license. I call them and get a little testy, explain the goddam old dongle is in UPS and I only got to run the program one damn day. The usual sorrys but can you please send us tracking info etc on the RMA'ed dongle. I do that for them and they give me another temp license then i lay into them about such bull $hit procedures and straight up sloppy mistakes always had to be dealt with.

Still all in all the program rocks just dealing with the sloppy business can be a hassle.

that's why I suggest buying it from Scott. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Northland

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2016, 09:01:29 AM »
.. had an issue just yesterday. I was pissed, thinking my FilmMaker had crapped the bed.
Turns out, I had a thumb drive (that looks just like my FM dongle) plugged in.
Fortunately, I discovered the problem and swapped the dongle into service.
... my bad

Having said that.... I haven't needed FM help in quite awhile, but American Screen Supply has been very helpful in the past.
They sell the product for a reasonable price.