Author Topic: Lamest scam ever  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Ripcord

Lamest scam ever
« on: May 23, 2015, 06:28:25 PM »
I just got this email. If anybody falls for this they deserve to lose their money....("indespensable?")

Dear Customer

Please be aware that your PayPal Account expire in less than 48 H. It is indispensable to perform an audit of your data is present, otherwise your Account will be destroyed. Just click the link below .

Click Here to Verify Now

We requests verification whenever an email address is selected as an Account PayPal. Your Account cannot be used until you verify it.

PayPal Support.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Lamest scam ever
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:08:13 PM »
If the grammar, spelling etc is bad, I'm golden.

But if and when they get that right, the temptation to click will be stronger.

I, of coarse, never hardlie ever messup on speeling, sintacks, oar, use, of, puncktuation?

marks!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:41:32 PM »
Always, always roll the mouse over the link and check the web address usually on the bottom of the screen. 

If it's from any site for financial (credit card, bank, paypal, etc) and it don't start with HTTPS, you want to get away fast.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:18:47 PM »
Always, always roll the mouse over the link and check the web address usually on the bottom of the screen. 

If it's from any site for financial (credit card, bank, paypal, etc) and it don't start with HTTPS, you want to get away fast.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the tip!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the tip!

99 out of 100 will put a link to a page they hijacked. So while it might look like it is coming from PayPal, when you hover over the link (as Wayne pointed out) it will show you where the link is taking you. In most scamming cases it will show a different location. This is your clue one.
The next thing to do is to actually forgo the email and go to the browser and type the banks actual address yourself directly into the browser. Even if the link in the email is pointing to the right institution, there are ways to spoof that now so you never know. Just typing it in by hand can eliminate some of those issues but
in the end, there is NO surefire way to eliminate the scam as there are numerous ways to get that financial institution information from you. Make sure you have a good bank that will cover your losses in case there is a problem.

bottom line, always go to your banks web page by manually typing the info in the address bar in your browser.

pierrei
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 08:11:52 PM »
That is pretty much the absolute BEST advice you can take from this thread.  Same goes for phone calls.  If it relates to money or privacy (basically any kind of accounts with banks, suppliers, etc), never confirm any information or click any links when something is sent to you or someone calls you.  Always tell them you will call them back using the official phone numbers or log into the site directly by entering the URL instead of clicking links.  This alone will protect you from almost every scam out there...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:41:05 PM »
  Always tell them you will call them back using the official phone numbers or log into the site directly by entering the URL instead of clicking links.  This alone will protect you from almost every scam out there...

This can at least help assure that one is getting cheated by the real deal. Hey folks, we're talking banks here!  :o
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:36:28 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 09:21:13 AM »
the return address should be @paypal.com, and nothing else. Forward anything you get to spoof@paypal.com. They check it out from there, and send you a reply thanking you for helping.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't