Author Topic: Converting from White Lithium to Superlube  (Read 2078 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Converting from White Lithium to Superlube
« on: May 27, 2015, 03:45:23 PM »
Our old '92 Gauntlet takes white lithium grease.  Everything else in the shop uses the Super lube.  I don't like mixing lubes in machines and am in the "don't switch once you start" camp, but the white sheet from Super lube says it's compatible with Lithium Stearate and Lithium Complex.

Anybody know if it's safe to swap a press over from one to the other?

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
Re: Converting from White Lithium to Superlube
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »
Our old '92 Gauntlet takes white lithium grease.  Everything else in the shop uses the Super lube.  I don't like mixing lubes in machines and am in the "don't switch once you start" camp, but the white sheet from Super lube says it's compatible with Lithium Stearate and Lithium Complex.

Anybody know if it's safe to swap a press over from one to the other?
perfectly fine with the press!
Rich Hoffman

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »
Rich, you just made my day, one less case of product to order and stock. 

Any need to try and flush out the lithium or just start lubing with the Super?

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »
Rich, you just made my day, one less case of product to order and stock. 

Any need to try and flush out the lithium or just start lubing with the Super?
just start using. They are both compatible.
Rich Hoffman

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:34:49 PM »
Awesome

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 06:17:29 PM »
Speaking of.....

...I was lubing my press today, and noticed red grease in the lines on the print heads. Seems my previous printer/employee had been using the hi-temp grease for the dryer, on the press as well. I assume he used it on the main shaft and pretty much anywhere there is a zerk fitting.

... I'm sure that this lube is better than no lube, but is this a huge problem? What should I do? Do I need to purge the old grease and recharge the lines?
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Screen Medics

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
Clearly red high temp grease is the WRONG grease for your press.   Most press manufacturers specify lithium grease not high temp grease.  M & R calls for synthetic grease with teflon be used on the indexer that moves the pallets during printing.  Other lube points call for lithium grease...but why use litium when there is a better grease available for slightly more?

By the way, you can get high temp synthetic grease with teflon now for use on high temp lube points on your dryer.  It is clear colored.

Although synthetic grease is a little more expensive than lithium or other greases its additional cost pales when compared to the cost of a service call.

I suggest you change to synthetic grease with teflon for your press and dryer and while using it you will expel the red grease out of the system during regular service.

We doubled the lubrication frequency on all of our equipment.  We believe this has improved the reliability of our printing equipment.

What experiences have other had on this subject?  Let us know.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 09:43:06 PM »
Uhh...okay then. Thanks for the lesson, I guess?

Context clues in my post suggest that I understood that the red hi-temp grease is not what SHOULD have been used. Unfortunately, it is what inadvertantly WAS used by a well-meaning employee.

For the record, I have both greases recommended for my dryer and for the press. The greases that I use are ones recommended by M&R, and for peace of mind that is actually where I purchase it.

So with that further clarified, will the red hi-temp grease in the lines do any specific damage to any seals or anything like that? Is there a need to gonthru the trouble to purge it out of the lines, or can I simply just keep re-lubing with the proper grease until it has all worked its way out?

(Rich/244...I sure would feel a helluva lot better getting YOUR advice on this one.)

Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Screen Medics

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 09:35:32 PM »
Hello Rich/244,

We made the change to Superlube with Teflon 3 or 4 years ago without purging the lines on the M & R Press (The techs at M & R confirmed purging was unnecessary).  We Changed to Superlube Hi-Temp with Teflon for our Sprint dryer 3 years ago without purging the lines.  The changeover has been uneventful.  Again, the M & R techs gave us the green light on the dryer changeover too.
Looks like we have analyzed this topic thoroughly.l

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 01:35:37 AM »
Uhh...okay then. Thanks for the lesson, I guess?

Context clues in my post suggest that I understood that the red hi-temp grease is not what SHOULD have been used. Unfortunately, it is what inadvertantly WAS used by a well-meaning employee.

For the record, I have both greases recommended for my dryer and for the press. The greases that I use are ones recommended by M&R, and for peace of mind that is actually where I purchase it.

So with that further clarified, will the red hi-temp grease in the lines do any specific damage to any seals or anything like that? Is there a need to gonthru the trouble to purge it out of the lines, or can I simply just keep re-lubing with the proper grease until it has all worked its way out?

(Rich/244...I sure would feel a helluva lot better getting YOUR advice on this one.)
while it is the wrong grease there won't be an issue. Just double the lubricating schedule until you get it pushed out. No deal or bearing issues will occur.
Rich Hoffman