Author Topic: Video Series - Printers On Press  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Ryonet

• Verified/Junior
Video Series - Printers On Press
« on: May 27, 2015, 05:58:49 PM »
Hey everyone,

We're new to the forum, but wanted to share a video series we produced called Printers On Press.
The main goal of the series is to give people a look behind the curtain if you will at an industry that we love so much.
There are 4 of them so far and each shop is as unique as it's owner/printer.   Our aim is to produce a new video for the series each month.

Check them out and let us know what you think!  :D

Rendered Screen Print & Design - Newberg, OR https://youtu.be/-6_IxTgaey0

Velo Cult Bike Shop & Screen Printing - Portland, OR https://youtu.be/vNbUR8dPBR8

Family Industries - Los Angeles, CA https://youtu.be/zaNUIfUZ7SU

The Uncommon Breed/Uncommon Printing - Tacoma, WA https://youtu.be/EON4MU-oeFk

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
Re: Video Series - Printers On Press
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:41:35 PM »
Nice, I like it!

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »
Mr Ryonet

Several times your interviewers in the videos comment on water base ink being Eco Friendly please explain why and how that is true.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:47:30 AM »
Mr Ryonet

Several times your interviewers in the videos comment on water base ink being Eco Friendly please explain why and how that is true.

was thinking the same thing...I smell bullshirt....why? because they make more money selling that particular brand of ink. ::)
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »
Mr Ryonet

was thinking the same thing...I smell bullshirt....why? because they make more money selling that particular brand of ink. ::)

BINGO... for starters look how much discharge gets dumped i know some printers keep spent discharge to print on light garments but the majority dispose of far more waste than plastisol  printers... and how eco friendly is breathing the discharge fumes.. I guess when you are marketing to newbies it easy to fool them in the eco friendly ink bullshit.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline starchild

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 04:01:12 PM »
I knew this was coming.. Because there's so much to call bull on..

The thing is.. Ryonet is a direct competitor to "our" group as far as assimilation and distribution of industry specific information..

Bieng a part of TSB will increase their level of content that is "mass" distributed. Is this good or bad?

The natives are restless and hostile because of the inaccurate information that is put out en mass.
This will cause either of three options- defend or humble and learn (the latter will improve their screen printing edu). Or scurry for the hills..

I'm just saying the natives are restless and cause and effect..

Nah I'm just b-essing.. I saw the Printers on Press episodes but that's because I'm a consumer of screen print related content..

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 04:47:13 PM »
Waterbase ink is more eco friendly if you only look at the final product. The waste and off gassing is in the production side of the product. The final product only has binder and pigment. That has to be more eco friendly compared to a plastisol print. More friendly when you toss it in the trash..

Its like most products that say they are eco friendly. They are only eco friendly because of a reason that is usually skewed or misleading. I did soy foam insulation at a time in my life. Its a spray in foam insulation. It was Green, eco friendly you name it. They sold it as the eco alternative. The truth about that product is that it only had a small percentage of soy oil in the product. The final product in the wall had almost non. The competitor product was also eco friendly but had no natural oil or anything in it. The other product was eco friendly because of the savings that it made to the homes heating and cooling over fiberglass insulation. Hell you could put toxic waste in the wall and say it was eco friendly if it out performed the standard product and saved electricity.

I think i read somewhere that a organic shirt only needed 5% organic content to be considered organic.

Its all sales tools
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:54:36 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline Ryonet

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 05:06:38 PM »
Mr Ryonet

BINGO... for starters look how much discharge gets dumped i know some printers keep spent discharge to print on light garments but the majority dispose of far more waste than plastisol  printers... and how eco friendly is breathing the discharge fumes.. I guess when you are marketing to newbies it easy to fool them in the eco friendly ink bullshit.

I totally agree! Wasting water based ink and discharge is never good and is certainly not friendly.  Where we are headed is teaching folks how to use Green Galaxy Water Based inks (not discharge) as an eco friendly option, saving ink and not flushing a bunch of it down the drain is KEY.  Where the water based ink really shines as far as being eco-friendly is during clean up.  You can clean water based ink with water or our Sgreen Aqua Wash.  We don't recommend or train printers to be wasteful with it. 

For more technical information about Green Galaxy products and how they measure up as an eco-friendly alternative to plastisol, feel free to check out our MSDS sheets found here: http://support.screenprinting.com/forums/20135817-Water-Base-Discharge-Inks

Thanks for the feedback!  Hope you liked the Printers On Press videos.

Will Nelson,
Ryonet
screenprinting.com

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »
Bottom line:

Chemistry is Chemistry.  It does not matter what industry you are in.  There is no such thing as being truly green...

Even back when I was at QCM and we were ahead of the curve regarding Pthalates and being "GREEN".... Well, being "GREEN" really boiled down to how you and your company took care of its waste.... Because we are all still combining and printing and cleaning with Chemicals.... just like everybody else in this industry.

Oh!  and we used as much soy bean oil as possible.... about 5% ;)

I really Hate the Green word....
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »
Bottom line:

Chemistry is Chemistry.  It does not matter what industry you are in.  There is no such thing as being truly green...

Even back when I was at QCM and we were ahead of the curve regarding Pthalates and being "GREEN".... Well, being "GREEN" really boiled down to how you and your company took care of its waste.... Because we are all still combining and printing and cleaning with Chemicals.... just like everybody else in this industry.

Oh!  and we used as much soy bean oil as possible.... about 5% ;)

I agree; this word is pretty vague.  If you look at VOC content of most chemicals,  they all fall in the same ball park of one another.  Emulsion removers, screen washes, press washes, are all pretty close to one another.

I had a shop running a drum spray system I installed, and they wanted to try a pail some new low VOC made for California screen wash one of my chemical companies was trying out.  On the SDS everything looked awesome, so we got a pail on order for him to try out and test how it performs.  Cleaned the screens great, but the guy cleaning all day and myself could not spray it in the booth without coughing.   They switched back to what they always used.   

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:32:53 PM by KevWilso »
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 08:14:11 PM »
Chemist quote on VOC levels:

"I can make you a zero VOC compound that will kill you in 3 seconds.  But it will pass your VOC requirement.  Can I sell that?"
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
Clipped....

When people ask me what is the "greenest" ink we carry ..... I generally reply kelly or perhaps hunter....

8)
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 12:30:02 PM »
Clipped....

When people ask me what is the "greenest" ink we carry ..... I generally reply kelly or perhaps hunter....

8)

Hahahaha, totally!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 12:53:32 PM »
lol

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 12:55:21 PM »
Clipped....

8)

That is awesome!