Author Topic: Sim Process  (Read 2662 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Sim Process
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »
As the summer is starting, we are getting slammed with orders (mostly for touring bands), and more and more they are difficult (for us) Sim Process Jobs.

I really need to get a grasp on this. Where can I start looking? what can you all recommend?

We've done runs of it in the past, and they've always been ok, but we need to get better at it, and quickly. Cruising the boards tonight for more info, but anything you all have would be awesome!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Sim Process
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:34:29 PM »
in my opinion, it's all in the seps. then, you can look at screens, inks, squeegies and the other hundred thousand variables we have to deal with, but it all starts with the seps....poor seps can't overcome the other variables....If I have something i need to nail on the money, first time, no time to tweak, I send it to Scott @ myseps...and learn from them.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 10:45:15 PM »
Eric, I know a little about simproc, and my firm belief is that is all about the seps. I think you guys have a good grasp of printing fundamentals.

All of our simproc is 55 line based thru 225s and overprinted thru 255t. So many variables to discuss... emulsion, film, inks, profiles/durometers, tension. etc.

Feel free to pm me and we can talk over the phone if you like.

Dale Hoyal

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 10:56:33 PM »
in my opinion, it's all in the seps. then, you can look at screens, inks, squeegies and the other hundred thousand variables we have to deal with, but it all starts with the seps....poor seps can't overcome the other variables....If I have something i need to nail on the money, first time, no time to tweak, I send it to Scott @ myseps...and learn from them.

Agreed. Good seps and dense films are key. If you output with a rip & calibrate for dot gain it will increase the accuracy. I use ultra seps, but if it's something I can't handle or don't want to mess with I outsource to Bryan @ film direct. After that, proper exposure (use a 10-15x loupe & expousure calc) screen tension, and mesh count are really important variables. I usually print with roller frames between 40-50N, base 195 (usually reduced plastisol), overprint colors typically 305, highlight white 155. Hope this helps, this is what we do and it works well for most  jobs we run.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 11:00:20 PM »
Eric, I know a little about simproc, and my firm belief is that is all about the seps. I think you guys have a good grasp of printing fundamentals.

All of our simproc is 55 line based thru 225s and overprinted thru 255t. So many variables to discuss... emulsion, film, inks, profiles/durometers, tension. etc.

Feel free to pm me and we can talk over the phone if you like.
I'll try and give you a shout out tomorrow!

I think we are still struggling to nail down our emulsion coating technique, which i know is having a very big part to play in all of this.

We we were working on a 9 color sim process job today, all DCUB, WB highlights, but i know my screens are not consistent in coating.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 03:13:39 AM »
I think they are easier on press then spot color jobs, if the seps were done right. I don't go after that kind of work because they are all high custom color jobs and have complicated seps. I can make more doing 1-3 color spot color jobs all day.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:17:30 AM by Screened Gear »

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 06:52:41 AM »
Eric PM me if you like.....I can hook you up with one of the best guys in this type of sep biz and yes he is affordable and dead nuts accurate. Hint: he did the Best Buy Elf and the Spoleto Arch painting seps posted in the past; amoung countless of others. Develop a synergy with him and you really have something going on
I'll save the "You're Welcome" for later.
best tp

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 08:24:16 AM »
think of it as a chain, it starts with seps and ends with what's in your head. If any of the links is weak the chain will break. Most of us can handle te production side, bur we know very little about what makes a good sep. Start with those, then look at your screens, then the press and finally the inks.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
Also know that the best separators have extensive printing knowledge. Not all do.