Author Topic: Cant Wrap my brain around this. Can someone give me advice?  (Read 3063 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Maybe its just too early in the morning, but I was just given this art, and Im not quite sure how to print this.  It will be going on a Jade color shirt.  Any help would be appreciated.  Not looking for seps, looking to see how someone else would tackle this.

Thanks everyone

Online blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Cant Wrap my brain around this. Can someone give me advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 11:54:26 AM »
convert to CMYK and pull the yellow and black channels. YOU ARE DONE!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:05:27 PM »
Thanks Blue Moon! I appreciate that!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:16:11 PM »
Those black outlines around them small letters going to fill in???
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 08:32:58 PM »
Even easier way.

Place the file in to Illustrator and output it. There is a pantone 7752 and black. There is CMY also but there is no information on those screens.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:34:39 PM »
I don't see how Illy is going to make them small letters not close in (dot gain), but who knows?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »
I don't see how Illy is going to make them small letters not close in (dot gain), but who knows?

Not sure what shirt color. But if your worried about the black filling in print the black first then yellow. Or edit the text size. The file has outlined vector text in it.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 11:59:30 PM »
I guess it's just me.

Yes, it's nice and vectored, but I used Corel since I'm not that well versed in Illy and just looking at the 'A' at the front of 'Anniversary' and the whole 'A' comes out to 5/32.

The 'S' comes out to 4/32 or 1/8 from outside black to black.

I think it might be tough printing even a 1/8 inch letter, much less 5/32 bordered in black on fabric and not experience a problem with dot gain.

I expanded the print to 11 inch wide and the letters do get up to 3/16, including the borders. 

I still would not expect success with butt registration trying to fit the black borders around the gold, especially with the font selected.

Just my 2c.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:04:26 AM by screenxpress »

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 10:55:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for their replies.  I am goint to talk to the client about changing the art a bit.  I really appreciate the responses!

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 02:57:06 PM »
Ok, Job is done, and out the door.  Thanks to everyone, I took a bit of advice from everyone here, and changed the art a bit, and the client approved.  Thanks again, and thanks to everyone for their replies!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 06:51:06 PM »
Post the finished product!

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
Not the greatest art by any means, but we never say no to a customer...  Even though sometimes I want to.. :-X
The Gold color is what they wanted, I showed them what it would look like on the Kelly Green, and suggested the pantone yellow.  They agreed with my choice.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:58:20 PM by im_mcguire »