Author Topic: Nylon bag printing  (Read 2239 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Nylon bag printing
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:27:27 PM »
We have a large job coming up and I saw in one of my old impressions/printwear mags' an article about an ink that was premix for nylon printing, I don't know where I place the mag now and would like to know more about this ink.  I know we can but a nylon bond additive in our regular ink and print, but that ink only last so long and has to be tossed, if I read the article correct, this ink can be use straight out the bucket.  I really hate to tossed ink being that this job is going to take us a couple of days...in the mean time I going to look thru my collection of old mags again.

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
Re: Nylon bag printing
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
I use nazdar 7200 series for dark colors on light bags. It is an air dry ink. You have to move pretty quickly. I use a couple of hair dryers and it goes off the press in to the box, no dryer.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline aauusa

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:11:59 AM »
most ink suppliers will have a nylon series ink.  One Stroke's series 222 is a ink made for nylon.  no need for additive.

Offline broadway

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 06:33:45 AM »
i have an old ink, Wilflex one stop nylon ink. It is not recommended for water proof nylon. Just used it, cures at 300 degrees.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:13:57 AM »
I just got a call from Mark from One Stroke the other day, might have to call him and see what they have...I was kind of thinking just about all nylon is somewhat waterproof.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
I use nazdar 7200 series for dark colors on light bags. It is an air dry ink. You have to move pretty quickly. I use a couple of hair dryers and it goes off the press in to the box, no dryer.

I like the air dry option for bags. 

Is this Waterbased?

Does it cause Ghost Images?

What do you use for ink degradent?

How about using on recycled, non woven, Polypropylene bags?

Thanks!

Stan

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »
The ink you read about was more than likely meant for Nylon athletic garments.  Meaning shorts and Shooter shirts/reversibles etc..

If there is any water proofing on your garment/substrate - you want to use a nylon bonding additive.

Also, bags where the weave is suuuuper tight i.e a high denier count, you want to use a bonding additive.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
Colin that's what I was thinking, still have not found the mag I saw the ink article in....but I'll still look again.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »

I like the air dry option for bags. 

Is this Waterbased?

Does it cause Ghost Images?

What do you use for ink degradent?

How about using on recycled, non woven, Polypropylene bags?

Thanks!

Stan

It is a fairly nasty solvent ink. I use an ink remover from ICC. I think it is 858. The images do ghost - sometimes severely. It is really nice to take the bags out of 1 box print them and then right off the press in to the next box... It will work on polypropylene bags. It is not super opaque on those though.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
Thank you sir!

I don't much like the sound of it so far, but we seem to be printing more and more of these super CHEAP bags and some of them melt pretty badly.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 04:33:01 PM »
You can get these printed and delivered for next to nothing if your quantities are big enough (100-200+).  I wanted to print them in house, but found it honestly made more sense to just order them.  If someone wanted like 50 of them I would just charge them what it would cost to get whatever minimum order and their per unit skyrocketed.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 05:01:39 PM »
We're about to run a thousand cheap cinch bags, one color white ink, we use nylobond mostly, but we also have an ICC product which has a catalyst. No issues with sticking to the bag ever...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 07:26:51 PM »
Nazdar DA inks will do the job or Sericol got a Nylon Bag ink too.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »
Crooked-
I actually have a few mess ups around. If you want me to send 1 to you so you can see the print just let me know.
I am headed out early tomorrow and won;t be back until Monday. If you get me the info before noon I'll send it tomorrow.
Matt

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »
I found the article and guess who else is in the topic from 2007 Printwear mag Tony Pepitone talking about discharge inks, but the review I read was the Lancer Group they have an ink called Duratex water-based nylon ink.  I think Lancer makes Excalibur inks, never use them but will do a little research on them, they claim this ink is good for nylon fabric with no additives.