Author Topic: Video: Tips For Creating Successful Plastisol Trasfers  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Ryonet

• Verified/Junior
Video: Tips For Creating Successful Plastisol Trasfers
« on: June 25, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »
Hey TSB, our instructor Josh has some great tips for creating successful plastisol transfers!
Check it out: https://youtu.be/OM7pElrL9AM

Will Nelson
Ryonet
screenprinting.com

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Video: Tips For Creating Successful Plastisol Trasfers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »
The template cover is nice if your not doing to many transfer's, and using one pallet, but still great info to have.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 03:20:01 PM »
Good video.  The template is pointless though and just adds time and the possibility of it hitting something or shifting a screwing up your print. MUCH easier to just preheat (preshrink) your paper, either by passing it under your flash or through your dryer.  Also, I don't have a temp control on my flash, but raising the flash a little will help if you want to adjust the temp down, just another way of doing the same thing.  When doing multicolor transfers this way I usually try to flash to around 170-180 depending on the color and thickness of the ink deposit, then run through the dryer after powdering to gel at around 200.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 03:57:07 PM »
as what seems to be the issue with the rest of their videos, the information provided is better than not having any or what's disseminated by some bozos on the internet. BUT in the end, there are some minor bits and pieces that could (should?) be changed. . .

For example, there are times when stroking twice is needed, but it should be an exception. Showing a video with stroking twice creates an impression that it is the right way to do it. Similarly, there are hot peel and cold peel transfers depending on the ink and paper. Saying plastisol transfers are hot peel is incorrect. Also, the 12 seconds might be right for that particular combination of ink and paper, but that too can vary. Add in not preheating the paper and a production method that will generate 15 sheets an hour and I'd grade this video at C-.

pierre

p.s. adding a link to a location where most of this is explained would make a huge difference. Even a link to somebody else's material. . .
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »
I probably should have been more critical since I print these multiple times a week these days...I didn't even want to get into the double stroking (never done that with transfers as it just causes blurry edges and massive dot gain on paper) or the heat pressing specs. 

Not preheating the paper for multicolor transfers though is a huge no-no.  Even with this protective cardboard guide, you will have shrinking in the image area that will cause major registration issues on any art with fine details.

I agree that it should have been approached more like "today we are printing and pressing hot peel transfers.  There are also hot split and cold peel transfers.  Pressing temps and times will vary based on the inks used and the substrate as well."

Offline Ryonet

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:57:52 AM »
Great, thanks for the feedback!

Will Nelson
Ryonet
www.screenprinting.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 12:11:39 PM »
Will,

why don't you take advantage of the group here and have us preview the videos before they are published? Even a script or rough collection of footage will allow us to provide you feedback and thus elevate you to premier source for the CORRECT printing information.

pierre

p.s. not all the information found here is correct either, but I would say we are at least 90% there. So far this place is the best source of easily accessible information. The only thing better would be Scientific White papers from a rather limited number of companies and universities.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!