Author Topic: Quick question about M&R press names?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Quick question about M&R press names?
« on: July 02, 2015, 07:30:14 PM »
I look at lots of ads for used auto's and I was wondering if anyone could explain in general or specific terms what the different designations mean on the older M&R autos.  I see stuff like Gauntlet S, Gauntlet R, Gauntlet RS.  I think some models have an L.  Just wondering what these mean exactly.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
Re: Quick question about M&R press names?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:48:53 PM »
I look at lots of ads for used auto's and I was wondering if anyone could explain in general or specific terms what the different designations mean on the older M&R autos.  I see stuff like Gauntlet S, Gauntlet R, Gauntlet RS.  I think some models have an L.  Just wondering what these mean exactly.
Gauntlet S was a low cost, low memory basic auto. Gauntlet R was better version with Revolver program. Gauntlet RS was a better unit with a better air indexer and more memory in the microprocessor. The Gauntlet RS is a great low cost auto that most parts are still available. The other two  are getting slim to none on replacement parts. There was no L series. That is only in the Diamondback series.
Rich Hoffman

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:59:39 PM »
I'll second Rich on the RS, jump on one if you see it.  I feel like those presses are the pinnacle of the affordable air gauntlets. They seem to be overlooked on the used market,  rare to see and, when they do pop up,  under worked. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 10:16:22 AM »
Guantlet II RS 6/8 for sale here: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bfd/5103736577.html

Not quite in my price range right now unfortunately and I would probably want more heads honestly, but could be a good deal for someone.

Also, they have a comical amount of screens crates in their warehouse...where do you even get that many random screens.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 12:06:47 PM »
That looks to me like a shop that didn't reclaim screens and they didn't catalog film, only screens.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 12:35:28 PM »
Guantlet II RS 6/8 for sale here: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bfd/5103736577.html

Not quite in my price range right now unfortunately and I would probably want more heads honestly, but could be a good deal for someone.

Also, they have a comical amount of screens crates in their warehouse...where do you even get that many random screens.

thanks for posting this! i'm gonna write about the folder/baggers!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »
That looks to me like a shop that didn't reclaim screens and they didn't catalog film, only screens.

CRAZY!!!

What I could do with that amount of space!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 12:38:44 PM »

I don't know anything about the market there, but it sounds a little high from what I see in the pics.

I'd third the RS suggestion though, especially with a servo index, it kicks the crap out of the old GT-8.  ;)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »
pardon my french, but that is freaking crazy.  How much money are they paying for rent just to store those?  How much time are they spending trying to find the damn screens in that mess for repeats?  I would go insane with that mess sitting in my shop.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 01:08:01 PM »
I concur, using space like that to store screens is not wise considering what you could be doing with that space.  The money you would be making on that sq footage would easily afford you a nice, fast reclaim setup and a CTS I imagine. Crazy stuff...

Go check out that RS and see if you can talk 'em down "hmmm, well it's only a 6 color..."

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »
I would guess that whoever that person is must own the building, no way any normal human would be renting a place that big just to store a bunch of screens.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 12:11:21 AM »
That was a Co that did many of the same prints all the time for many many years. Thousands of different designs for different items. Discharge and plastisol prints of many thousands of prints per production run for their own retail product. They were a very old Co. Like 1902 kind of Co. They sold a few years ago and the new owners sold off a few locations of their facilities. What you see in the pics are probably a fraction of just one building.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 12:15:46 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850