Author Topic: Lookiing into first automatic .......What to go with??  (Read 13071 times)

Offline XG Print

Lookiing into first automatic .......What to go with??
« on: July 03, 2015, 09:03:23 AM »
Hey!!  We are getting really close to being ready to purchase our first automatic press.  We have been a 1 and 2 manual shop for 3 years and are starting to reach the point where an auto would help us to reach the next profit level and reach production goals.  If you had 15-20K for your first auto where would you start looking.  Are the Brown Electra prints worth doing or would I be better off finding a used M&R or Workhorse?  Ideally I would like an 8/10 but I know a 6/8 is more likely in my price range.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Most of our jobs are 2 color spot jobs.  Very rarely do more than 4 colors.  90% of our business is schools although we are working on branching out more and more so that we don't have the slow down when school is out for summer.  I already use 23 x 31 screens and my dryer is good enough for an auto so those are not concerns.  Thanks Guys!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Lookiing into first automatic .......What to go with??
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »
P R I N T E X :)  Thank you, thank you, I'm here all year :)

Hopefully someone will chime in and tell the OP I'm just joking...

Seriously though I'd find a used press, with more colors than you think you need.  If you're going to do this, do it right the first time so you're not going through this same process a year from now. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »
I totally agree, buy a press with more colors then you think you might need. We bought a Diamondback 8/10 3 years ago but at times I wish we would have a 10/12 press.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 10:10:30 AM »
I do not own an auto but have done lots of research and asked lots of people about their experiences with autos.  For your budget:

-I would STRONGLY suggest going with a used M&R, either a guantlet, sportsman, or challenger.  The support M&R offers for their older machines will be invaluable.

-Prioritize the most working heads/stations you can afford and the largest print area you can afford, and the newest press with the fewest impressions you can find.  You should be able to get a late 90's/early 2000's 8/10 gauntlet in that range that is in good condition.

-Make sure you have a tech inspect the machine before purchasing as there are lots of things that can be wrong with a machine and what may look like a great deal on paper could cost you a lot in the end.  Spend a few hundred now to save thousands later.

-Avoid equipment brokers unless you get multiple good referrals from people you trust (if you find a deal, post it here and people will tell you whether to avoid known bad sellers).  There is a short list of straight up scammers that always seem to have "deals" and use multiple pseudonyms.

-try to find a machine that is in production and can be tested out before purchase.  If a seller won't let a tech look at it or wont let you see it work, run away.

There are plenty of other pieces of advice I'm sure people will chime in with soon.  I would avoid Anatol, Lawson, Brown, asdfx, and a few other brands for various reasons unless they are SERIOUSLY good deals.  People have love/hate relationships with javelins, people like RPM, SRoque, and MHM, but their used presses just won't have the same support and part availability as an M&R.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 10:48:07 AM »
one thing to think about when making the move to automation, the press is the EASIEST part. now you have to consider a ton of other variables. Your current dryer, can it handle the output of an automatic? screen size, do you need to bump that up, if so how is your exposure unit? can it handle a larger screen screen? and the list goes on...power, gas for your new dryer, footprint, workflow yada yada....

*edit. I see your dryer and screens are ok, what about power for air compressor, lines and all that. you'll blow through 20k in a heartbeat...

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 11:02:05 AM »
I agree with the earlier post about more colors. I went with a 6 color. I say all the time that my next press will be at least 10 colors. I would also STRONGLY suggest getting a certified tech to instal for you. If this is your first auto press you may not know if something is off or not right until it is too late.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 11:29:36 AM »
Nothing less then 8 colors.
Your 15-20k budget is more like 10-15 for the press after you figure in the nickel and dime stuff like compressor, air dryer, flash, electrical,  shipping, install, etc. Have a reputable tech install your press so it's done right from the start.
Watch out for the deal of the century, like above have a reputable tech inspect the machine.
There are some reputable used equip dealers/brokers, reach out for references before buying from one.
Check with mfg to see if parts are still available, some stuff can be purchased locally but items like PLC's and some custom parts may no longer be available.
See who is around your area to support the machine. If your on the East Coast and the only service available has to be flown in from the West Coast you will go broke if something major goes wrong.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »
I asked the same question of the TSB guys when I began searching for an auto. "Used Gauntlet Revolver" kept popping up over and ove, so that was what I started looking for.

Took me a while to find one, then one suddenly appeared in my back yard almost (7 miles) but it was a little older than what I was looking for. But I went ahead.

It is a 93 Gauntlet GT8. I was able to watch it print, and found out that most everything is still available parts wise. I hauled it pretty much intact on a sliding bed tow truck on a pallet jack for the ridiculously low price of $150.00. I wanted to be in the 10-12K range all in, and was able to do that. BUT! I am handy, so I was able to do all the piping, wiring and etc myself.

I found a terrific Craigslist Compressor (Refurbed Champion 5HP) and bought a Harbor Freight Chiller--jury is still out on that purchase.

My press is similar to the one hotlinked above in post #2...but older and not as clean. Same size and footprint. Older interface. (WAAAY last century interface) 

You are gonna drop WAY more coin on the "OTHER STUFF" than you think.

I've got very few regrets! I wish a Tri-Loc type of pre registration system would be more usable. I'm going to rig something one of these days.  For now, I register on press to a film. That would be a disastrous time suck for most guys, but I'm still a low volume shop.  And I wanted a 7.5 HP compressor but my building is single phase and motors in that power range are more of a problem than 5's.

I'd heard that M&R had the best service and support.       OH. MY. GOSH!  I had no idea! 

You might even get support from Rich Hoffman. They understand how to build customer loyalty. If I'm able to buy again, new OR used...I'd be hard pressed to look elsewhere.

You know old the saying, of the things we all want: Low Cost, Quality, and Support....you can only pick 2.  That's really true. But if anybody wants a clinic on how to support their products, they need look no further than M&R. Service is my top priority when buying used.

And I agree...get somebody to look over your prospective purchase that KNOWS what they're doing.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »
I agree with the earlier post about more colors. I went with a 6 color. I say all the time that my next press will be at least 10 colors. I would also STRONGLY suggest getting a certified tech to instal for you. If this is your first auto press you may not know if something is off or not right until it is too late.

I did the exact same thing and started with a 6 color, then bought a 10 and now there are several times, I wish I had a 14
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »
Buy used.  Get the biggest (most colors) you can afford.  Browse http://www.digitsmith.com/f6.html and http://forums.mrprint.com/classifieds.php?do=main&catid=5 .  There are a lot of great deals out there. Our first auto was an ElectraPrint. It got the job done. We had it for almost 5 years before upgrading to a Sabre.
(My ElectraPrint is for sale on Digitsmith  ;) if you're interested)
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor and look at Marcodie.  You can get the press in any registration configuration you want (Tri Lock MHM or Pin).  Very high end press at a Diamondback price.  http://marcodieusa.com/
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »
Do yourself a favor and look at Marcodie.  You can get the press in any registration configuration you want (Tri Lock MHM or Pin).  Very high end press at a Diamondback price.  http://marcodieusa.com/
Do yourself an even bigger favor and pull a D&B on Marcodie. Besides the fact they have a judgement against them from M&R for close to 1M there are others owed big time. But hey if Sonny says it's the place to buy an auto must be o.k.
Rich Hoffman

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 02:29:38 PM »
Uh oh

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 02:46:56 PM »
wish I knew how to insert that MJ eating popcorn gif....that fits right here.

being a newbie to automatics, you'll need support...why go with anything else but the best support possible? that's why we have 2 M&R auto's... learn from other's mistakes...get an M&R + get a tech = make money.