Author Topic: Just printed this design and it came out great!  (Read 5754 times)

Offline SteveS

Just printed this design and it came out great!
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »
Just completed a job for a biker rally event in our area today. Artwork was done by John Lean (teedesign.com) and separations by Scott Detavernier. Printed with 7 colors and wow what a print.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:28:18 PM by SteveS »

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Just printed this design and it came out great!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »
Post a pic of the shirt! :D
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 07:25:51 PM »
With that nice print, I'm movin' this to Screen Printing Show Your Stuff (and I hope I don't start a **** storm again!)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:33:53 PM »
Great job!

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:56:59 PM »
phenomenal!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 10:00:10 PM »
The Lean brothers are fantastic apparel artist. I've forgotten about them. I rank them in the tops along with Jeremy Duncan but truthfully, Jeremy's anatomy is more accurate and he's an excellent graphic designer as well. That's a different category of artist worthy of ranking separately.

The print looks great.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkstain

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 02:58:42 AM »
Sweet!  The goods!

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:05:35 AM »
Dude, that looks fantastic!

Check your PM's, please!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:03:28 AM »
Yes indeed, it did come out great!

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 09:51:22 AM »
great art + great seps = fantastic print

....nicely done, I'd be proud of that sucker too
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline head north

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »
Looks awesome!
Scott
Head North Printing
www.headnorthprinting.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »
How much does art like that cost typically (a range is fine)?

Offline SteveS

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 12:35:35 PM »
I don't really want to post that information online about the cost but I will respond to private messages. This type of work is not inexpensive. You get what you pay for and that includes communication and follow through on promises. John always has a backlog of projects and for this job, after I contracted his services, it was approximately 2 weeks before he could start my project. The sketches and revisions took about another 10-12 days to a final sketch approval (after several revisions) and at that time, the coloring process commenced. It was 6 days when I received a final colorized version.

Those who don't do a lot of this but would like to need to keep a few things in mind. We formulated a letter detailing every aspect of what we wanted included in the design. Everything from objects, layout, theme, hair color, shadow and lighting effects, and even down to the type of shoes the girl is wearing. Her outfit, bike style and colors were all part of the original communication before he ever picked up his digital pencil. We were even specific with the setting being in an old garage. That being said, he did bring a lot to the table on his own as far as layout. It just works pretty seamlessly when you give the artist with that kind of talent all the information he needs to render a drawing.

The cost of this kind of work is fairly inconsequential when you're factoring that into the quantity of shirts for an event like this. Don't even bother trying to do this with a 100 piece order.

John works and lives in Malaysia. His work is fairly widely known. I was actually introduced to him several years ago by none other than Bill Hood.

I think his pricing is fair. I've looked domestically for an artist that can do work like this and that I can get along with. I'm still open to find someone of this calibre in the states (I am sure they're around) but John is just really easy to work with and he's very trustworthy. That is worth a lot to me. I'm no artist but I can hack my way around Draw and Photoshop. I think it helps to have a decent understanding of how these types of artists think and work.

Anywhooo. We're pleased and we appreciated the kudos. We're a small shop too so don't let your size limit what you think you can do.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »
Nice work! Any specifics... line count, mesh, discharge, etc.?
Dale Hoyal

Offline SteveS

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »
Nothing special.

Wiflex Epic PFX colors, Triangle Phoenix White base, Wilflex PFX Mixing White highlight

All 7 colors were 230 mesh, 55LPI, eliptical dots ripped through Accurip. White base, flash, WOW on all other colors.