Author Topic: Stain Imaging  (Read 3196 times)

Offline larryk

• !!!
Stain Imaging
« on: July 27, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »
Got an email from these folks awhile back and really like the looks of what they do....Stain Imaging is what they are called and they are out of Utah. Has anyone had the pleasure of doing business with these folks and if so how was the experience... Thanks, LarryK
www.stainimaging.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Stain Imaging
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 05:06:49 PM »
Still have no details about the actual process, but a 2008 thread on another forum came up with some users from an outfit in Florida said to be the patent holder.
144 minimum and a $400 tooling for custom from those folks back then.

These Utah folks play it pretty close to the vest, and explain that a phone call is needed to get the low-down.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 05:17:17 PM »
Just got off the phone with the owner and he seems legit.... it is a 150 dollar plate charge they have with a 144 min. You ship your shirts and you can have different colors done of the garments but a 50 buck charge for "INK" change with a 72/72 piece split. Like 2.75 each to have them stained........ looks like all over printing with discharge to me... but that is why I'm asking because I'm not sure.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:34:13 PM »
Once again, I know nothing for sure, but seem to remember talk of a rubber pad. Could this be just a giant pad printer, or perhaps more like offset with the rubber pad on a roller or drum?

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »
I have a sample from this company that I think I got back in 2008/9.  It was really well done.  No clue how they're doing it.  I recall it being expensive.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 05:49:42 PM »
Never heard of; or seen this company until I just checked out their website.   Shirts look awesome on there.  Are the prints as soft as they appear?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:52:25 PM by KevWilso »
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 05:58:11 PM »
"Butter Soft" is how they are described.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 06:21:51 PM »
It is described as a dye rather than an ink, so softness is to be expected.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 07:55:26 AM »
I had some samples a couple of years ago, pretty cool, and reasonable enough provided you have a large group that would be willing to pay. I had no takers with the customers I showed it to.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 08:47:24 AM »
I think Frog is on the right track. Yes I talked with them a while back. Not belt printing. Not two alike=imperfections in places. Generally acceptable for most. Price kicks it into niche market. Its why belt printing pretty much went the way of the Dodo. Either a sprayed stencil or pad. Either way much less expensive equip still labor intensive

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 07:24:47 PM »
The information I have may be out dated. In the area of 2008-2010, I was working with a guy that developed it. Where its at now? Who's hands it's in, I am not sure today. There was some talk of this guy who developed it, was partners at the time, then left, started selling as his own thing with his own Co. Then a law suit, ya know, that sort of thing,  seems all that must be washed out by now.

At the time, these were done very similar to the old style grandma washers with the hand crank. How the image was applied, in not exactly sure. I seem to recall only being able to do 1 color, and was needed to be solid art. It covers the entire shirt. Front and back. It's best to use a random "tossed" pattern that will look as if it's all fitting together like a puzzle. Some art engineering was required. I'm s was a dye back then.  It takes some work to get it going so I can understand the fees.

We did some at Disney and I think I sold one to Universal.  It's a good item for those types that can pay for a premium technique/item and then be able to charge a little more on top of their already high price tag. If I recall, at that time it was costing us about 7.00 a shirt + the print cost if any on top of that, then your markup. So, ya know. Designing a print on top of this is a little like designing on tie dye.  Gotta work with the background and overall color.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850