Author Topic: Ryonet FX LED Exposure Unit  (Read 27236 times)

Offline jvieira

Ryonet FX LED Exposure Unit
« on: August 05, 2015, 06:56:42 PM »
So, I was just on facebook and saw Ryonet is releasing a single point LED exposure unit. I am now confused if this new type of unit is better than the "standard" LED strip units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPrTKcvMu04

Thoughts?

Offline jvieira

Re: Ryonet FX LED Exposure Unit
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »
Highlights:

Single spectrum high powered UV light.
Integrated Bluetooth and app.
Customizable presets.
High quality halftone scales and exposure guides.
450 watts single source spectrum LED.
7 second exposure time.
Sharper detail.
Max screen size 25×36.

http://www.ryonetblog.com/fx-exposure-unit/

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 07:02:53 PM »
We've had a few posts here that have talked about the Saati unit.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jvieira

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
Couldn't find any

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:49:09 PM »

Says "single source" though. In the video it looks like a circular array of leds which would mean it's not the Saati unit, right?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 10:22:47 PM »
That looks like an LED cluster, not so much a point source and I'm not so sure about that reflector design, looks like it would diffuse the light to me but if it was engineered perfectly to work with the cluster spacing/location I suppose it could perform similar to a good MH reflector.

The claimed % halftones at 85lpi on a 230 is certainly impressive.  If true, I doubt that expo is happening at 7s.  I can't see a PP emulsion holding that but I know some diazo added emulsions perhaps could.  Diazo sensitized emulsions have long expos on LED compared to MH. 

Why would you ever need a bluetooth app to fire up an exposure unit?   Are you playing music through this thing? Taking phone calls?

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 01:04:00 AM »

Says "single source" though. In the video it looks like a circular array of leds which would mean it's not the Saati unit, right?
I thought he said "single spectrum".

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 01:25:07 AM »

Says both.

This exposure unit has a single source LED light that gives off 450 watts.

Highlights:

Single spectrum high powered UV light.

Offline jvieira

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 02:45:17 AM »
The latest
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,15345.msg147448.html#msg147448

I did find this one but it's not the same thing at all. There's another thread on here with a PDF file that shows it's two different things. Plus, that one is just the LED, not a complete unit. The Ryonet thing is the whole thing ready to go

Offline jvieira

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 02:49:10 AM »
Why would you ever need a bluetooth app to fire up an exposure unit?   Are you playing music through this thing? Taking phone calls?

EXACTLY! I was thinking just that! that's just adding tech for the sake of it, I can't see a single advantage of having a bluetooth app or an app at all. They claim a 7 second exposure. There's not even time to leave the room

Still, it is suggested it works better than the strips as it's closer to a MH BUT when we're talking about exposure times of 10 seconds or less (most LED units on PP) is there any place for improvement? Maybe in quality (even though I've been reading the regular units don't have a problem with quality).

I was just about to pull the trigger on a (certainly) more expensive unit but now i'm on the fence

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 06:48:15 AM »

EXACTLY! I was thinking just that! that's just adding tech for the sake of it, I can't see a single advantage of having a bluetooth app or an app at all. They claim a 7 second exposure. There's not even time to leave the room

Still, it is suggested it works better than the strips as it's closer to a MH BUT when we're talking about exposure times of 10 seconds or less (most LED units on PP) is there any place for improvement? Maybe in quality (even though I've been reading the regular units don't have a problem with quality).

I was just about to pull the trigger on a (certainly) more expensive unit but now i'm on the fence
I will only tell you what many have found out. All LED exposure units are not the same. Many have learned the hard way. Just a FYI.
Rich Hoffman

Offline jvieira

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 06:55:34 AM »
I do realize that and I know of M&R quality. It's still the place to go and I'm seriously considering the Starlight as I told you.

This is just something new and I was asking if there's any advantage of having a single point LED unit as I can't see any.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
In my opinion yes there is an advantage to a single POINT unit, in any type, BUT...

There are industry leaders who have LED units out right now that aren't performing as described which would make me HIGHLY skeptical of a Ryonet branded LED exposure unit. The main issue with LED units is the ability to penetrate the emulsion through to the squeegee side and fully crosslink the emulsion so you don't have scumming on the inside of the screen. If you coat your screens with the round edge of the scoop coater, chances are, you'll run into issues with exposure times being WAY off what the manufacturers are claiming.

All that being said, even though I haven't seen one in person, I believe the M&R unit is a good few leaps and bounds ahead of the competition and is worth the extra $$.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »
I was going to start a new thread (I will at some point) but I can briefly talk about the Starlight I got to shoot 5 screens on a few weeks ago.  We set it up right next to the Vastex, plugged it into the same outlet, and we shot 5 screens, all different mesh counts and spot colors, fine lines and halftones.  The longest exposure was 6 seconds and the fastest was 4 seconds.  None of the screens had scumming on the inside of the screen, and I was able to spray out the finer details with much much less effort compared to the Vastex.  I can get rid of the scumming on the Vastex if I increase the exposure time to 25-30 seconds, but then I lose the ability to get the fine detail out.  The vacuum draw down on the Starlight was about 12 seconds, exposure 5 seconds, which means the single screen Starlight outperforms the double screen Vastex by almost double the production rate.  Vastex:  2 screens=90 seconds  Starlight: 1 screen=18 seconds, roughly 50 seconds to shoot 2 screens including taking the 1st one out and putting the second one in.  Starlight wins in detail, vacuum draw down, exposure time, blanket quality (our vacuum blanket on the Vastex already has air leaks and is dry rotting in the corners), control panel/operational features, viewing lights, and probably a few other areas I can't think of right now.  In simple terms, Starlight=what I thought LED was going to be  Vastex=A disappointment in just about every area.  I feel bad saying those things, but I have to be honest, I have to give the facts as I see them and not prop up a decision I made to make myself look good.  I made a bad decision on our latest equipment purchase, it sucks, but I'm making the best out of it. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.